Q. My eyes are teary and painful after driving at night. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Skandha Harshita
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Hello doctor,

After driving at night, the next morning, my eyes are teary and painful. Even after driving at night and someone brights my eyes cannot handle it. What process will happen at the eye clinic? What tests should I undergo?

Do you have a question on Pain In Eyes or Watering From Eyes?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

By going through your query, I could understand that you have difficulty in driving at night, and you wanted first-hand information about the process of eye examination when you consult an ophthalmologist.

1. When you visit an ophthalmologist, you will initially have your vision checkup where you need to read the letters on a chart displayed. The letters on the chart gradually decrease in size line by line, and your vision will be documented, and glasses will be prescribed if required.

2. Next, you will visit the doctor and get your eye examined under slit lamp by the doctor.

3. He will then direct you to the retina examination room where your pupils will be dilated, and your retina examined.

4. Then your intraocular pressure will be checked.

5. Then eye drops will be prescribed if required.

6. As per my opinion, your problem of teary eyes at 26 years needs glaucoma workup, and if this is normal, wearing anti-reflection glasses while driving relieves you of your problem. I hope this helps.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Why do my eyes itch?
Query: Hello doctor, My vision gets blurry, especially when I look at green lights at night. I wake up with a blurry vision every day. And at times, my eyes pain and itch. Please help me.  Read Full >>
Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blurring of vision at night and morning may be because of refractive error. This requires evaluation by an ophthalmologist. The itching in the eye can be due to allergic conjunctivitis. I suggest you try using anti-allergic eye drops.  Read Full

What could be the reason for my one-sided headache?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. My height is 160 cm and I weigh 55 kg. I have a severe one-sided headache. Please help.  Read Full >>
Dr. Nazma Parveen
General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have a headache which is located on one side only. According to me, you are having a cluster headache which can be due to many causes of stress, migraines etc. If you can tell me whether it is right or left sided and whether you have any associated symp...  Read Full

I have repeated episodes of sore throat. Why?
Query: Hello¬†doctor, I am a 25 year old female. I have been suffering from repeated episodes of a sore throat that includes nasal obstruction and pain in the throat. I was diagnosed by the treating doctor to have a DNS for left (on the basis of a CT scan) and now granular pharyngitis has been added. The f...  Read Full >>
Dr. Mehak Agarwal
ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please share your CT scan reports here? If you have sinusitis, you will have a recurrent throat infection. Do you have symptoms of allergy like excessive sneezing, watering of eyes or itching of the throat? Do you have excessive acidity or do you smoke ...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Doctor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.