Q. I have severe pain in legs and hips. Kindly advise.

Answered by
Dr. Vikram S Bharadwaj
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 23, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have been having strong aches in my legs and hips for some time now (probably a few years, on and off) not just when exercising but also when standing. Sometimes, this becomes so painful that I cannot stand. The pain feels like a constant ache in the inner of my legs. When this pain happens I often also have swelling and poor circulation in my legs. I live a healthy lifestyle (exercise 5 to 7 times a week, normal cholesterol, healthy weight). So, I do not know what could be causing this. I am an 18-year-old female, and I weigh around 55 kg. Leg issues also run in my family, with my mother and grandparents having lots of varicose veins and edema. Does anyone know what this could potentially be and any sort of treatment that may help me?

Dr. Vikram S Bharadwaj

Occupational Therapy Physiotherapy


Welcome to icliniq.com.

This might be growing pains which all kids have until 18 to 20 years as bones unite by 20 years. Also, we are up and about every day on our legs so the pain might increase. You can keep your legs in a tub of warm water for 2 to 3 minutes for two sessions per day. This might be a temporary treatment as this kind of pain will vanish slowly by 20 years. Let me know if you find any result in seven days. Coming to your mom and grandparents issue of varicose veins, there is no known treatment medically. Laser surgery is the only option. Use of varicose stockings while standing would help.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why has not my height increased in the last five years?
Are my right knee and hip pain due to osteoid osteoma?
How can stretch marks on belly and legs be treated?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My father is having continuous hip pain. How to evaluate this?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is having a continuous pain in his hip for the past four months. The pain can only be ease by consuming painkillers. The pain has prevented him from walking by himself. Most of the time, he cannot sleep throughout the night because of the pain. He is a diabetic and on regular In...  Read Full »

Is clicking sound in knee a symptom of any big disease in an 18-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a boy, 18 years old. My right knee has clicking sound without any pain. Please help me out of this. Is this symptom of any big disease? Tell me some things to cure this.  Read Full »

Are the leg and hip pain occurred due to fall or Ciprofloxacin taken for UTI?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a UTI that developed into a kidney infection. I also fell down a couple of stairs during this time. I went to the ER hospital (because my doctor is far away and kept being closed) and they prescribed Cipro. I was taking it and my body was soar from fever and falling (possibly). No...  Read Full »

Also Read

Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.