Q. I have severe pain in legs and hips. Kindly advise.

Dr. Vikram S Bharadwaj
Published on Oct 23, 2018

I have been having strong aches in my legs and hips for some time now (probably a few years, on and off) not just when exercising but also when standing. Sometimes, this becomes so painful that I cannot stand. The pain feels like a constant ache in the inner of my legs. When this pain happens I often also have swelling and poor circulation in my legs. I live a healthy lifestyle (exercise 5 to 7 times a week, normal cholesterol, healthy weight). So, I do not know what could be causing this. I am an 18-year-old female, and I weigh around 55 kg. Leg issues also run in my family, with my mother and grandparents having lots of varicose veins and edema. Does anyone know what this could potentially be and any sort of treatment that may help me?

Dr. Vikram S Bharadwaj

Occupational Therapy Physiotherapy
#

This might be growing pains which all kids have until 18 to 20 years as bones unite by 20 years. Also, we are up and about every day on our legs so the pain might increase. You can keep your legs in a tub of warm water for 2 to 3 minutes for two sessions per day. This might be a temporary treatment as this kind of pain will vanish slowly by 20 years. Let me know if you find any result in seven days. Coming to your mom and grandparents issue of varicose veins, there is no known treatment medically. Laser surgery is the only option. Use of varicose stockings while standing would help.

My father is having continuous hip pain. How to evaluate this?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is having a continuous pain in his hip for the past four months. The pain can only be ease by consuming painkillers. The pain has prevented him from walking by himself. Most of the time, he cannot sleep throughout the night because of the pain. He is a diabetic and on regular In...  Read Full »

Is clicking sound in knee a symptom of any big disease in an 18-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a boy, 18 years old. My right knee has clicking sound without any pain. Please help me out of this. Is this symptom of any big disease? Tell me some things to cure this.  Read Full »

Are the leg and hip pain occurred due to fall or Ciprofloxacin taken for UTI?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a UTI that developed into a kidney infection. I also fell down a couple of stairs during this time. I went to the ER hospital (because my doctor is far away and kept being closed) and they prescribed Cipro. I was taking it and my body was soar from fever and falling (possibly). No...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now