Q. I have severe pain in legs and hips. Kindly advise.

Dr. Vikram S Bharadwaj

I have been having strong aches in my legs and hips for some time now (probably a few years, on and off) not just when exercising but also when standing. Sometimes, this becomes so painful that I cannot stand. The pain feels like a constant ache in the inner of my legs. When this pain happens I often also have swelling and poor circulation in my legs. I live a healthy lifestyle (exercise 5 to 7 times a week, normal cholesterol, healthy weight). So, I do not know what could be causing this. I am an 18-year-old female, and I weigh around 55 kg. Leg issues also run in my family, with my mother and grandparents having lots of varicose veins and edema. Does anyone know what this could potentially be and any sort of treatment that may help me?

#

This might be growing pains which all kids have until 18 to 20 years as bones unite by 20 years. Also, we are up and about every day on our legs so the pain might increase. You can keep your legs in a tub of warm water for 2 to 3 minutes for two sessions per day. This might be a temporary treatment as this kind of pain will vanish slowly by 20 years. Let me know if you find any result in seven days. Coming to your mom and grandparents issue of varicose veins, there is no known treatment medically. Laser surgery is the only option. Use of varicose stockings while standing would help.

|