Q. My hip pain aggravates during yoga and exercise. How to manage the pain?

Dr. James F Geiselman

I am a 34-year-old male. My right hip pains when moving the leg in specific positions (best explained in a few photos). Need help in identifying what muscle or tendons are affected so I can move forward with a correct stretching. I suspect a few problems but need an expert opinion. I do not feel any pain in my daily life, and I can play tennis or squash without feeling any pain, but the problem can worsen after exercise and yoga. I have a history of not stretching, and my body is relatively tight, especially hip flexors and leg muscles.

I have no history of severe hip, leg or spine injuries. To my recollection, the problem first started a few years back while running down a staircase the pain disappeared after a few weeks. Symptoms began again a few months ago while doing yoga and other exercises. I had a bad habit of putting my right foot under my left thigh while sitting on my office chair (basically sitting on my foot). I do not feel any pain while doing this but could be a factor to my current problems.

#

Based on my clinical experience and the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are more than likely dealing with hypertonic muscles. Based on my views the top three muscles would be the TFL (tensor fasciae latae), glute medius, and piriformis. I commonly see these muscle tight in practice.

To treat them, or to at least know if they might be an issue, I would recommend getting a lacrosse ball and stretching them out. You will find a sore spot and hold it for three to five seconds. Roll off and find a new place. Do this three to four times a day.

I advise against using it based on the picture and clinical description of your problem. I would also recommend seeing a licensed provider for an actual physical examination for proper treatment and care.

I hope this helps you.

|