Q. My hip pain aggravates during yoga and exercise. How to manage the pain?

Dr. James F Geiselman
Published on Apr 12, 2019

I am a 34-year-old male. My right hip pains when moving the leg in specific positions (best explained in a few photos). Need help in identifying what muscle or tendons are affected so I can move forward with a correct stretching. I suspect a few problems but need an expert opinion. I do not feel any pain in my daily life, and I can play tennis or squash without feeling any pain, but the problem can worsen after exercise and yoga. I have a history of not stretching, and my body is relatively tight, especially hip flexors and leg muscles.

I have no history of severe hip, leg or spine injuries. To my recollection, the problem first started a few years back while running down a staircase the pain disappeared after a few weeks. Symptoms began again a few months ago while doing yoga and other exercises. I had a bad habit of putting my right foot under my left thigh while sitting on my office chair (basically sitting on my foot). I do not feel any pain while doing this but could be a factor to my current problems.

#

Based on my clinical experience and the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are more than likely dealing with hypertonic muscles. Based on my views the top three muscles would be the TFL (tensor fasciae latae), glute medius, and piriformis. I commonly see these muscle tight in practice.

To treat them, or to at least know if they might be an issue, I would recommend getting a lacrosse ball and stretching them out. You will find a sore spot and hold it for three to five seconds. Roll off and find a new place. Do this three to four times a day.

I advise against using it based on the picture and clinical description of your problem. I would also recommend seeing a licensed provider for an actual physical examination for proper treatment and care.

I hope this helps you.

| 

Is using one crutch 75 % or 50 % weight bearing after a hip arthroscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am down to one crutch after a hip arthroscopy. I am supposed to be at 75 % weight bearing. Is using one crutch 75 % or 50 % weight bearing. Also, on day four, I am supposed to be at 100 % weight bearing with one crutch. How is that possible?  Read Full »

Are the leg and hip pain occurred due to fall or Ciprofloxacin taken for UTI?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a UTI that developed into a kidney infection. I also fell down a couple of stairs during this time. I went to the ER hospital (because my doctor is far away and kept being closed) and they prescribed Cipro. I was taking it and my body was soar from fever and falling (possibly). No...  Read Full »

I am unable to sit crossed and straight legs. Can physiotherapy help?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 27 years old male. I am unable to sit crossed legs, also unable to sit with straight legs. While trying to sit crossed legs, I am unable to keep my back straight and also left knee does not touch the ground completely and I tend to fall backward. Similarly while sitting with straight ...  Read Full »

Ask a Chiropractor Now