How to treat severe hip pain during pregnancy?

Q. What to do for severe hip pain during pregnancy?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2023

My wife is 14 weeks pregnant. Since yesterday night, she has been suffering from severe left hip pain. She is unable to stand, sit and walk comfortably. It started with mild pain for a month. The pain seems to be unbearable. I applied the pain reliever cream and spray, but it did not work. Kindly suggest to me what I have to do.

#

Since your wife is pregnant, kindly visit an orthopedic surgeon for clinical evaluation as the condition can be due to multiple reasons ranging from vitamin D deficiency to transient osteoporosis of the hip or referred pain from the pelvis. Do not expose your wife to X-ray as it can harm the baby in the mother's womb. An MRI might be required depending on the findings of the examination. Only Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) is a safe analgesic for her during her pregnancy. My recommendation is to visit your local orthopedic surgeon for clinical evaluation.

I am so grateful for your prompt response.

#

Thank you for your positive feedback. Please do not hesitate to ask for any more doubts or second opinion.

|