Q. I have pain at the penile tip with painful urination. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2020

I have painful urination at the tip of the penis and a dull pain after that. For the last couple of months, pain is at the tip of the penis that comes with urination and then dull pain. No UTI or prostate issue.

#

Pain at the tip of the penis has few causes. One is inflammation due to products used like soap or oil. The second can be due to the urethra's inflammation, which we call urethritis due to infection or sexually transmitted diseases or even unknown causes.

Urethritis due to STD (sexually transmitted disease) occurs one to two days after sexual contact with pain in the whole urethra and discomfort deep in front of the anus. The discharge is usually yellow or green. Investigations required are STD screening like swab for gonococcal and chlamydia with blood tests for syphilis and HIV then treatment according to the results.

If you do not have discharge, then prostate inflammation can be the cause that requires semen for culture to diagnose and treat according to the culture results. Another reason can be inflammation of the bladder or stone in the bladder, which requires urine analysis and culture with ultrasound KUB. Work up is necessary to reach proper diagnosis and treatment after that. I suggest you to change your soap or shower gel and use milder ones like baby soap. No need to apply any products, including oil on the penis.

If that failed, you can proceed with the investigations I mentioned above then follow up to decide the treatment I need to give you.

|