Q. I have pain in penile shaft during erection. Could this be a sign of penile cancer?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Over the last two to three months, I have noticed that it is painful when I get an erection. The pain is in a specific area below the head of the penis on the shaft.

I did blood and urine tests to check my general health. Kidney and liver function was fine, but there was micro hemoglobin in my urine. So I repeated the urine tests four more times. Out of those four, I have hemoglobin in two tests. Three urine samples were checked for cancer cells which were negative. There is no discharge or burning when urinating. What is the problem?

#

There is inflammation, and that can cause pain and blood in the urine. This inflammation can be from products like shower gel or soap. Other causes can be sexually transmitted infections, which include gonococcal, chlamydial, or even fungal infections. Or you can change the products like baby soap. Sexually transmitted infection occurs after one to two days with unprotected intercourse with an infected lady. Symptoms like pain or urethral discharge, which is green or yellow in gonococcal or chlamydial infection or even with no discharge like in fungal infection are seen.

Investigations required can be urethral swab for gonococcus and chlamydia if there is discharge. If not, then you can use anti-fungal cream like Canesten cream twice daily on the penis.

Note: Frequent masturbation can also cause penile pain.

I have pain when I press my penis in flaccid state also. Cold this be penis cancer?

#

Do not worry. It is not cancer. Penile cancer occurs at the age of around 70 years. It occurs in uncircumcised people. It is rare cancer. And it is painless. Mentioning the above things confirms that you do not have penile cancer. The tests done for you were to detect urothelial cancer in the bladder because of the presence of microscopic hematuria. But that test of urine is not enough to role out bladder or urothelial cancer. It should be accompanied by ultrasound KUB at least, and if ultrasound is suspicious, then flexible cystoscopy. Usually, I stratify patients according to the risk factors like smoking history or exposed people to rubber and printing industries, then checking by urine test and ultrasound. And if tests are doubtful, then proceed to flexible cystoscopy and CT (computed tomography) scan. In your case, pain causes might be any of the reasons mentioned above in my previous answer.

So please have an ultrasound to check as well and show me the results.

|