Q. My shins get hurt after Zumba dance session. Should I continue it?

Dr. Amrita Patro

I have been doing Zumba for six months, three times a week. A month ago, my instructor significantly increased the intensity of choreographies and my shins started hurting after dancing. They hurt all along the tibia, all the time. It is not extremely painful, but quite annoying. I would like to continue exercising, but I am scared of potential long-term consequences. Should I just slow down and avoid some moves (like jumping)? Should I switch to pilates?

#

I have read your query. I would suggest you to reduce the intensity or time duration of Zumba, if possible. Do some warm up exercises before starting with high intensity Zumba dance.

You can also do some low intensity Zumba dance before moving into the higher intensity every day. Please have a look below for more informations.

Start with warm-up exercises or low intensity Zumba dance before starting with high intensity Zumba dance. Take frequent brakes between the high intensity dance. You may simply stand or sit for two to five minutes in every 10-15 minutes of dance. You may use shin support braces during the dance. This may reduce the pain you get after the dance. Dip your legs in warm water for 10-15 minutes after going home or take hot pack on the shins.

Rest in between the high-intensity dance. Shin supports or braces while practicing Zumba.

Try the above suggestions and see, if you still feel the pain let me know. You may later opt for pilates instead of Zumba.

|