Q. What are the causes of thigh pain?

Dr. Atul Prakash

My father is a diabetic and hypertensive. He underwent CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) two years ago. Also, ten years back, he suffered right-sided hemiparesis. Nowadays, he complains of pain in his thighs when he goes for a walk. He feels better only if he ties a crepe bandage and takes tablet Dolo 650 mg. Currently, he is on Insulin Mixtard 30/70 - 38 units in the morning and 15 units at night, tablet Glycomet-GP2 morning and night, tablet Linagliptin 5 mg once in the morning, tablet Fibrator 10 mg at night, tablet Metolar 25 one in the morning, capsule Dynapres 0.4 mg at night, capsule Arreno ER in the morning and night, tablet Ecosprin 75 one in the morning, tablet Thyronorm 25 mcg one tablet from Monday to Thursday, and two tablets from Friday to Sunday, capsule Uprise once a month. Also, his water intake is less and his PP (post prandial) sugar is 200 to 230 mg/dL.

Please examine my father's test reports and kindly advise.

#

I have seen the reports (attachments removed to protect patient's identity). There is nothing to panic at the moment. I suggest you apply ice pack to the affected area and take painkillers like tablet Paracetamol.

Do revert in case of further queries.

Thank you for your response.

Is it due to injury or age as he has pain in both the thighs? Will an ice pack help, or should he take any medication? Can he continue going for walks?

Kindly guide.

#

My initial response is to wait and watch, as there is no history of trauma or injury. Occasionally pain in the thighs can be due to back issues. Is there any local swelling, redness, tenderness, or bruising? These are necessary to consider trauma as a diagnosis. DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is another possibility, where there is a clot in leg veins that causes deep pain, but it is uncommon to occur simultaneously in both legs. I suggest you go for a D-Dimer blood test to rule out DVT. Yes, an ice pack will help; I suggest you continue with tablet Dolo 650 mg (Paracetamol). I also suggest he continue walking as this is a minimal exercise and will also keep his mind away from the problem.

Kindly revert in a week.

|