Q. I get a foul smell in my urine and pain during urination. Why?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am a 17-year-old male. My urine smells very strong and foul. This issue has been present for months, and I have been to the doctor regarding this.

If I had to describe the smell, I would say that it smells like a can of Vienna sausages, a terrible smell. After urinating, this smell will be from the toilet itself and will sometimes follow me for 20-30 seconds after leaving the room.

Currently, I am drinking around a gallon of water a day to ensure that it is not due to dehydration.

Previously, I have been to the doctor three times on this issue. They did a urine culture to test for UTI, blood tests (presumably to test for STDs/high calcium levels). Everything came back negative.

I am also facing constant pain in the ribs and the back (I have bad posture). While urinating, it feels like something is trying to escape my bladder with some pain. I feel dehydrated when I wake up. This is most likely from some issues with my nasal cavity, causing my nose to swap to my mouth. I have not had blood in my urine. I am urinating semi-frequently. However, I would assume it is due to the gallon of water a day.

I have tried all kinds of things to stop it, like taking vitamins, changing my diet, exercise, drinking more water, and other drinks like Gatorade. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from foul-smelling urination for months, feeling of pain during micturition, constant pain in the ribs, back pain, etc.

Foul-smelling urine with a feeling of some pain mostly indicates urinary tract infections (UTI). But you have already done some investigations which exclude UTI. Other than UTI, dehydration, and diabetes may be the possible causes. Dehydration is excluded as you usually drink lots of water. So, such type of clinical features may result from diabetes as the body is trying to get rid of excess blood sugar and is disposing of glucose through your urine.

Your rib and back pain may result from muscle strains or sprains, acid reflux, and many other causes.

You can undergo some investigations like RBS (random blood sugar) to exclude DM, USG (ultrasound) of W/A to exclude urethritis or prostatitis, serum creatinine to exclude any kidney problems, X-ray spine with KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) to exclude kidney stones, ECG (electrocardiography) and CXR (chest x-ray) to exclude chest and heart related any problems.

Your drug history, bowel movement history, and family history of arthritis are also important here for confirming any diagnosis.

| 

Why are my blood sugar levels fluctuating so much?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old working woman, and my weight is 80 kg. I am not diabetic, but my recent reports showed my fasting blood sugar level to be 105 and HbA1C was 6.2. After seeing the report, I got scared, so I redid the test after a week. This time, my fasting blood sugar was 143 and pos...  Read Full »

I get abdominal pain while urinating, and my urine shows RBC. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, From the last two years, I have some problems. At an interval of 2 to 3 months, I sometimes get lower abdominal pain while urinating. A few months back, the pain was terrible for two days. I consulted my doctor, and he advised me some medications. He told that it is a case of cystiti...  Read Full »

Diabetes

Article Overview: The number of people being diagnosed with diabetes is drastically increasing. To know how diabetes affects your heart, kidney, and brain, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Diabetologist

What Is Diabetes? Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a condition that affects how your body uses blood glucose or blood sugar. Glucose is an important source of energy for the cells in the body, and it is the main source of fuel of the brain. There are many types of diabetes depending on the cause, b...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»