Q. Is Amoxiclav a good drug for pain during urination?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a male, and for the past week, I had pain while urinating, especially at night. Sometimes the pain lasts after I urinate and feels like there is acid or something still in my urethra or something, it is hard to explain. I am not sexually active, so I cannot be an STI. I think it may be a UTI. I have some Amoxiclav which I had prescribed for a skin infection and never used so I am taking Amoxiclav for this but not sure how long should I take it for and standard dosage? Currently, I am taking it three times a day, so far pain (I think it is subsiding). Should I get checked at doctors if Amoxiclav does not work?

Do you have a question on Pain While Urinating or Amoxicillin?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

MD GENERAL MEDICINE

Frequency, urgency, and burning micturition, pain while urination all can be symptoms of cystitis or urinary tract infection. Most commonly, it has two types, either complicated or noncomplicated UTI. So your condition comes in non-complicated UTI. Most common drugs used in this is Fluoroquinolone drugs like Ciplox, Norflox, Nitrofluorene. But you already started tablet Augmentin. So you can take a minimum of five days.

1)Tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin, Clavulanate Potassium) 625 mg twice daily for five days.

2) Drink plenty of water.

3) Syrup Citral K (Disodium hydrogen citrate) two tablespoon with half glass of water for five days.

Generally, should Augmentin work for UTI? Or should I go to a doctor and get a Fluroquinolone drug? I cannot find Citralka in my place. I can ask in pharmacy for something similar, but what is the active ingredient?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

MD GENERAL MEDICINE

Syrup Citralka not required if there is no burning sensation, with eater it will be fine. No need to change antibiotics. Augmentin is enough to cure uncomplicated UTI (urinary tract infection).

How to overcome pain while urinating?
Query: Hi doctor, I am not sure exactly when I started having a split stream urination problem, but I really worried about it recently. I mean, it never really used to bother me besides the occasional mess and I used to think it was more a result of tight underwear or something. My urine basically splits...  Read Full >>
Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Splaying of urinary stream does not always mean a problem, but is important to rule out significant urinary tract pathology like urethral stricture, bladder neck dyssynergia, etc. As an initial evaluation, you can get an ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureters and urinary bladder...  Read Full

Can you take Tylenol with Amoxicillin?
Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of th...  Read Full >>
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi. Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. The allergic reaction can be due to Amoxicillin only, because Acetaminophen and Codeine will not cause any allergic reaction. I suggest you to stop Amoxicillin. You can use any of the Cephalosporin ins...  Read Full

I get abdominal pain while urinating, and my urine shows RBC. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, From the last two years, I have some problems. At an interval of 2 to 3 months, I sometimes get lower abdominal pain while urinating. A few months back, the pain was terrible for two days. I consulted my doctor, and he advised me some medications. He told that it is a case of cystiti...  Read Full >>
Dr. Pratik Patil
General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, your reports show plenty of RBCs (red blood cells) in urine, which signifies infection. It could be secondary to renal calculi lodged somewhere up in the kidneys or ureter. It might be so ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now