Q. Is Amoxiclav a good drug for pain during urination?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
Published on Sep 10, 2019

I am a male, and for the past week, I had pain while urinating, especially at night. Sometimes the pain lasts after I urinate and feels like there is acid or something still in my urethra or something, it is hard to explain. I am not sexually active, so I cannot be an STI. I think it may be a UTI. I have some Amoxiclav which I had prescribed for a skin infection and never used so I am taking Amoxiclav for this but not sure how long should I take it for and standard dosage? Currently, I am taking it three times a day, so far pain (I think it is subsiding). Should I get checked at doctors if Amoxiclav does not work?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

#

Frequency, urgency, and burning micturition, pain while urination all can be symptoms of cystitis or urinary tract infection. Most commonly, it has two types, either complicated or noncomplicated UTI. So your condition comes in non-complicated UTI. Most common drugs used in this is Fluoroquinolone drugs like Ciplox, Norflox, Nitrofluorene. But you already started tablet Augmentin. So you can take a minimum of five days.

1)Tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin, Clavulanate Potassium) 625 mg twice daily for five days.

2) Drink plenty of water.

3) Syrup Citral K (Disodium hydrogen citrate) two tablespoon with half glass of water for five days.

| 

Generally, should Augmentin work for UTI? Or should I go to a doctor and get a Fluroquinolone drug? I cannot find Citralka in my place. I can ask in pharmacy for something similar, but what is the active ingredient?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

#

Syrup Citralka not required if there is no burning sensation, with eater it will be fine. No need to change antibiotics. Augmentin is enough to cure uncomplicated UTI (urinary tract infection).

| 

How to overcome pain while urinating?

Query: Hi doctor, I am not sure exactly when I started having a split stream urination problem, but I really worried about it recently. I mean, it never really used to bother me besides the occasional mess and I used to think it was more a result of tight underwear or something. My urine basically splits...  Read Full »

Can I give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is nor...  Read Full »

What could cause pain while urinating and also when bladder is full?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old. For the past two months, I have been experiencing pain while urinating and I also have pain when my bladder is full. I had taken a urine test and the test said I had an infection for which I was given antibiotics. The pain has come down, but a mild pain is still p...  Read Full »