Q. Can I try continuous pill-taking to stop my persistent and severe period pain?

Answered by
Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2022

Hi doctor,

I experienced severe pain every time I had my periods. I am experiencing pain during the first day of my period. The pain usually takes three to four hours. But when I have tablet Mefenamic acid, the pain only lasts for one to two hours, but sometimes the medicine does not work. I had a consultation with a doctor, and she told me to do an ultrasound test to see if I had endometriosis, but the test came back negative. One of my friends recommended that I try continuous pill-taking to stop my period so I would not have the pain anymore because that is what other doctors recommended. Is it also a good option for my situation? Please help.



Welcome to

I understand your concern.

Cyclic pelvic pain or cramps during your period is most often caused by pelvic endometriosis. The probable cause might be endometriotic implants. Ultrasound is not sensitive in its diagnosis. Hence clinical evaluation and history are of utmost importance in the diagnosis. Taking tablet Mefenamic acid every eight hours during your period is an excellent option, or I suggest you may take tablet Ibuprofen. In addition, I would suggest you can take other medications which can relieve the pain, tablet Visanne 2 mg (Dienogest 2 mg) every day. I suggest you take it continuously for six to 12 months. Another way of diagnosis is through direct visualization by laparoscopic surgery, but it is not practical since the management is just symptomatic relief. I suggest if you have no dienogest pills in your country, you can ask your doctor to give you other medications such as gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) antagonists injections or simple depot medroxyprogesterone. The endometriosis becomes active only during menstruation. Hence the depot will help you not have a regular menstrual period by inactivating it for a while.

I hope this helps.

The Probable causes:

Endometriotic implants

Investigations to be done:


Differential diagnosis:

Menstrual cramps

Probable diagnosis:


Treatment plan:

Dienogest pills

Gnrh injection


Preventive measures:

Pain meds during pwriod

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply. You suggested taking dienogest for six to 12 months. Can I stop after, or am I supposed to take tablet Dienogest forever? Also, I saw online that I could not use any hormonal birth control method if I take tablet Dienogest. What is the best option that would treat my problem and allow me to have a birth control method? Please help.



Welcome back to

I understand your concern.

Tablet Dienogest can be stopped after six months. If you observe pain persists in the first or succeeding periods, then I suggest you continue or resume it for another six months. Another option for birth control is IUD (intrauterine device). Not the hormonal type, just the copper T. If you have issues with copper IUD, the only way I suggest is to take your regular combined OCPs (oral contraceptive pills), then choose a GnRH injection rather than tablet Dienogest.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the treatment when TSH is normal but T3 and T4 level are high?

.. just read your query, and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have a normal thyroid function test results. The slightly high T3 and T4 are not a thing to worry because they can be caused by other hormonal medicine that you are taking...   Read full

13 year old girl suffers with painful periods. What is wrong with her?

I think she may have endometriosis ... Endometriosis in adolescents is fairly uncommon unless they have been sexually active ...   Read full

Why are my vaginal walls collapsed and cervix shifted to right side?

.. you doing? You seem to be suffering a lot at this young age of 25 years. From your history and examination findings, I feel there is deep infiltrating endometriosis. Usually, bowel symptoms, distended bowels into the vagina, nodules in ligament c...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.