Q. I am getting painful periods. Shall I skip periods using birth control pill?

Dr. Nadia Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

My questions are regarding my painful period. I used to have extremely painful period every month, similar to contractions. I am unable to drive, work, or do normal activities while on period. Birth control pills were prescribed (to control acne) and lower the pain last year. Medicines I am taking are called TriNessa. After taking them for about 1.5 years, the skin looks better (not perfect), and the pain went down but not entirely disappeared.

I am wondering if I can skip the last week on the pills to eliminate the periods and pain. If yes, what harm will it cause to my health? My age is almost 30. A gynecologist regularly checks me and no abnormalities were ever found. I am looking for a second opinion.

#

Painful periods are widespread, and they usually get resolved with pills. But if you still think that your pain is not getting fixed with those, then you might try pain killers like Mefenamic acid during your periods. And yes, that is possible to go without periods for two to three months, and it will not cause any harmful effects on your body. But you can also try to switch to another formulation of birth control pills before proceeding to this getting period absent option. I hope it has helped you. If you require any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

| 

Which medicine works best for severe menstrual pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female nurse, I have been having severe menstrual pain throughout my life, and sadly each year the pain increases. Since I was a college student, each month for all the four days of my period, I had to stay home lying in the fetal position, had to keep a heating pa...  Read Full »

Age 50years, 1. Fatty changes in Liver, 2. Bulky Uterus with Fibroid, 3. Blood sugar 201mg/dL

Query: Dear Doctor, My mother is 50 years old. According to the report,  She has got:  Fatty changes in the liver. Bulky uterus with fibroid. Blood sugar 201.0mg/dL. Kindly interpret the report.  Read Full »

My 3 year old daughter has fever. Can I give her Meftal and Novamox?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has a fever since last night. It has been 24 hours, and her fever is between 102 and 103.5 degrees Fahrenheit. She has no other symptom till now. She is 3 years old. We are giving Pharmadol tablets. Can I give Meftal P and Novamox 125?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»