Q. I am getting painful periods. Shall I skip periods using birth control pill?

Dr. Nadia Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

My questions are regarding my painful period. I used to have extremely painful period every month, similar to contractions. I am unable to drive, work, or do normal activities while on period. Birth control pills were prescribed (to control acne) and lower the pain last year. Medicines I am taking are called TriNessa. After taking them for about 1.5 years, the skin looks better (not perfect), and the pain went down but not entirely disappeared.

I am wondering if I can skip the last week on the pills to eliminate the periods and pain. If yes, what harm will it cause to my health? My age is almost 30. A gynecologist regularly checks me and no abnormalities were ever found. I am looking for a second opinion.

#

Painful periods are widespread, and they usually get resolved with pills. But if you still think that your pain is not getting fixed with those, then you might try pain killers like Mefenamic acid during your periods. And yes, that is possible to go without periods for two to three months, and it will not cause any harmful effects on your body. But you can also try to switch to another formulation of birth control pills before proceeding to this getting period absent option. I hope it has helped you. If you require any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

|