Q. How to lower cholesterol on a Paleo diet?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Published on Sep 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am a 25 year old male. I am 91 kg, and my height is 5 feet and 2 inches. My cholesterol levels are high, and I am over weight. I have hypertension, and I am taking tablets for cholesterol. I need a Paleo diet chart. Please help me. I am attaching my recent reports.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

Hello

I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and saw a marked elevation of cholesterol levels with low vitamin D levels. So, it is very much necessary to take up a strict diet so that you get all your vitals to a near normal range.

• First of all, if you want to follow a Paleo diet, it can be of two types. One is with intake of egg, and the other one is a completely vegetarian diet. As you have a vitamin D deficiency, you can take egg white and discard the yolk. Follow the diet for one month consistently without delay and with strict supervision.
  • Starting with breakfast, you can have wheat roti, with boiled vegetables, or brown bread with 0 % cholesterol butter, or cornflakes with skimmed milk (half a bowl), or mixed fruit salad one full plate only, or vegetable juice with bread and egg white omelet.
  • Lunch should include a fresh salad of cucumber, carrot, onion, tomato with no salt or pepper sprinkled. Rice should be avoided completely and can be replaced with roti or cereals and pulses. Intake of dairy products should be minimal. Yogurt can be consumed every alternate day without sugar. Lunch should be light and rich in fiber content. Vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, drumsticks are very effective in reducing hypertension. Spicy and oily foods should also be avoided. Only boiled vegetables with pepper toppings are allowed.
  • Snacks in the evening should contain some figs, walnuts or almonds, or soup of tomato or clear vegetable soup, or sprouts with tomato, cucumber, and carrot mixed are rich in fiber and vitamin B12. Aerated juice is a strict no.
  • Dinner should be taken two hours before bed time and only a full bowl of dal (all types) can be taken. Avoid eating heavily. Try taking only curry items at night with no fat in it.
  • Avoid alcohol and smoking. Exercises and diet help reduce hypertension. Salt and sugar are a big no. Remain hydrated with lots of water intake fruits like mango, Chiku, pineapple, and banana should not be taken and only non-carbohydrate fruits like apple, watermelon, guava, orange should be included.
  • Fasting is not allowed and leafy vegetables are preferred more. Follow the chart for a month strictly and see results.

For more information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your total cholesterol target should be 150. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) should be below 100 and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in range of 50 to 60. Your blood sugar is normal. Right now you do not seem to have heart condition and your slightly raised blood pressure is...  Read Full

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article

Kindly suggest a diet chart for a kidney transplanted patient

Query: Hi doctor, Four years before I had a kidney transplant. My weight is 79 kg and height is 164 cm. My current medication is immunosuppressant. Please explain me the diet chart.  Read Full >>

Dr. Swapan Banerjee
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am initially guiding you, but I always advise you to take a personalized diet plan. You need more fiber rich foods like brown rice, brown breads, all multigrains, whole skins vegetables and fruits. You should add more quality protein like egg white, sweet water fish, bu...  Read Full

Ask a Nutritionist Now