Q. Kindly comment on my paleo diet reports.

Dr. Hariharan V
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 22, 2019

I have been following paleo diet for the past 20 days. I have attached my reports here for your reference. Kindly review my report and let me know your feedback.

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

• I think you have started paleo diet 13 days before you have taken the blood test. It should be taken a day before you start paleo. Anyway, the only way to compare the health benefits of paleo is by taking a repeat test by the end of this month and comparing with this report.
  • I have gone through your blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and your ApoB/Apo A1 ratio - apolipoprotein B and A1 ratio is increased. That is you will have more LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and less HDL (high-density liporpotein) which is not good at all.
  • These both are reflected by your LDL, total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL/HDL ratio. Similarly your inflammation marker hs-CRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein) is in mid range showing that you have moderate risk for heart problems.
  • These problems are caused due to eating bad foods like transfats, junk foods, colas, poor cooking oils like vegetable oils, etc., and by other causes like smoking, etc. This have lead to insulin resistance and you are a prediabetic now based on HbA1c levels (glycated hemoglobin).
  • Vitamin D level is very important. Deficiency of Vitamin D also leads to diabetes.
  • Your blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine are too low saying that you were not taking enough protein at all.
  • Forget about other parameters whether they are good or not relevant, my suggestions are as follows.
  1. Continue strict paleo diet, either vegetarian or non-vegetarian, even though non-vegetarian gives you much proteins. Never ever touch any other food. Eat stomach full. Do not be hungry.
  2. Take half kilogram of paleo veggies daily.
  3. Sun session is a must. Stand under the sun everyday afternoon for 20 minutes (12-1 PM). If you cannot do sun session, then inform me. I will give you an alternative for the same.
  4. Try to create a diary of what you eat using chronometer. Look at the amount of protein you are eating. Yo need a minimum of 56-60 g of proteins every day. If you find difficult to use chronometer, give me your complete diet of the last three days with timings, quatity of all food, etc.
  5. One tablespoon ginger, one teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon garlic (mashed) mix in half glass of water and take it every day, so that your inflammation will reduce and hs-CRP goes down.
  6. Reduce mushroom, sea food and mutton. You can take egg, chicken and vegetables. Because, your uric acid level is little bit high. Also, drink lots of water.

For further doubts consult a Paleo Diet Specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist/paleo-diet

| 

I am going to follow paleo strictly as you said. I cannot take sun session, give me an alternate. My diet is as follows. Morning - 75 badam or five eggs or bullet coffee; afternoon - paleo vegetables; dinner - chicken or mutton or five eggs. This s my usual diet. I have started to take ginger, garlic and turmeric mix as you said. Should it be taken only in the morning? Please advice on Omega-3 tablet? How to improve the good cholesterol level?

Dr. Hariharan V

#

• I need to know how much chicken or mutton you are taking. Also, which oil you are using and how much spoons or grams per day?
  • I ran your data in chronometer and found that calcium is less in diet. I suggest you to take only four eggs and start 100 g of panner with vegetables in afternoon. You can split the vegetables for three times a day.
  • Also, I need to know what are the vegetables you have included in your diet and in how much quantity each?
  • Your Omega-6 intake is high, so better option is taking 20 g of flax seeds along with one tablet Mega 3 morning and night after food or tablet Zemega one in the morning and one at night.
  • Regarding vitamin D, take tablet D3Must or tablet D3up powder or tablet 60000 IU once a week after breakfast.
  • Do not worry about HDL and cholesterol. It will become normal in three months. Take Aarogyam 1.4 now and repeat your test after three months.
  • Please change the mix which I advised for hs-CRP to garlic, tulsi, turmeric and pepper.
  • Go for a walk for around half an hour every day. Do not exercise much.

For further information consult a Paleo Diet Specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist/paleo-diet

|