Q. Please tell me about the vegetarian paleo diet.

Dr. Shakti Mishra
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I am a 40 year old female, and I weigh 88 kg and my height is 160 cm. I am a vegetarian but I eat eggs. I am planning to start paleo diet to reduce my weight and before starting the diet, I got a blood test done. I am attaching my reports. Please suggest a vegetarian diet chart. What type of vegetarian foods to be taken? Are there any instructions to follow while doing paleo diet?

#

I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and according to it, you can go on a paleo diet. Which is good for your weight maintenance.

• But remember a vegetarian diet lacks some essential protein, which can only be supplied by non-vegetarian items. I suggest you try doing the following:
  1. If you are comfortable with egg, then have two eggs (only egg whites) twice a week.
  2. Skimmed milk twice in a week for breakfast is fine.
  3. Include more of spinach, cabbage, drumsticks, and other green foods. Boiled vegetable curry is sufficient to provide vitamins to your body.
  4. Start having olive oil.
  5. Have four meals per day and do not skip a single meal. Starving is not a good idea.
  6. Include more fiber and fruits like apple, orange, pineapple, etc.
  7. Salads are mandatory during lunch and dinner.
  8. Take your meals every day at the proper time and sleep for 8 hours is compulsory.
  9. High-carbohydrate and fat containing food products are not allowed on the paleo diet.
  10. Tomato soups made at home can be taken in the evening as snacks.
  11. Avoid milk tea and have green tea instead.

Follow these instructions and have patience, all the best.

For more information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Thanks for your prompt and kind reply. Could you please clarify my following queries, should skimmed milk be taken or whole milk? I read in some articles that fruits should not be taken during paleo diet, is it true? But, you have recommended taking apple, orange, pineapple, etc. Can I take tender coconut water during paleo diet? Can I take almonds? And finally, could you please help me quantify the food level recommended. I mean how many grams of vegetables or salads to be taken or how many liters of milk can I take?

#

• As per my advice, the milk should be skimmed, that is, without fat completely and should only be 1 to 2 liters per week.
  • Fruits like two pieces of apple in the morning or evening are fine. You can take half a plate of cucumber, carrot, and onion, this is the recommended salad intake.
  • Tender coconut water thrice weekly is good. You can also take 3 to 4 almonds daily.
  • 50 g of mixed vegetables should be taken during lunch, but at night only a small bowl full of cereals can be taken.

For further queries consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

|