Q. I am having heart palpitations. Do you think this could be ARVD?

Hi I’ve recently noticed that I’m having heart palpitations more than I used too and when I’ve searched online I’ve come across a condition called AVRD and I’m now worried that I might have it. I occasionally feel light headed but I don’t feel faint. I have no other symptoms such as swelling or chest pains or being sick and as far as I know no one in my family has any previous history of cardiac issues. One explanation I have is that I suffer from medical anxiety so it could be from that. I am planning to go to the doctors to get this looked at. I’m 20 years old and male. Do you think this could be AVRD ?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
# Hello,
Its unlikely to be ARVD. ARVD as a cause for palpitations overall would be very rare, may be less than 1 percent. Palpitations has numerous other causes and most common in this age group are psychological or anxiety. Also, in the absence of other right sided symptoms like swelling, abdominal distension, syncopes, there is no reason to think about it.
However for any palpitations, we advise Ecg and echo. And if necessary then holter monitoring. So should visit the doctor and get these investigations done. Alternatively you may use an Ecg watch to obtain an Ecg tracing during palpitations till you visit the doctor. Try some yoga and meditation for anxiety. Stay away from internet for medical purposes. If you read any disease on the internet, some symptoms of majority of the diseases will happen to be there in you. So don't get caught into it.
So ARVD should not be considered at present as no ARVD specific symptoms are present in you, but should undergo evaluation.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

|