Q. What are the possible causes of palpitations in a 40-year-old female?

Dr. Nagaraj

I am a 40-year-old female with high blood pressure. I restarted Indapamide some days ago, and I started having constant palpitations. So I stopped it, but palpitations were still there. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

As you said, "restarted," you were known hypertensive? If yes, since when? How long have you stopped taking medicines? What was your blood pressure reading before starting the medication, and what is it now?

Kind regards.

Yes, but I went on a lifestyle change which lowered my blood pressure for about 18 months, so my doctor said I could come off it, and it started increasing again slightly. It was 128/88 mm Hg when I checked today. Before restarting, it was 135/95 mm Hg.

#

Details given by you help assure that you were under the supervision of your doctor. I assume no other medical condition has led to an increase in your blood pressure. I mean to say you might have primary hypertension. Am I correct? Please let me know.

Kind regards.

Yes, I have primary hypertension. Please help.

#

You were on Indapamide, a kind of medicine that reduces blood pressure by increasing urine output. Unfortunately, it also causes electrolyte disturbances in the body which can cause palpitations. Also, you should never stop anti-hypertensive medications as they can lead to a sudden wave in blood pressure. Now there could be a few reasons why you may have palpitations.

1. Increase in blood pressure itself.

2. Disturbed electrolyte balance (I am not sure since when u stopped medicine now)

3. Some other medical conditions lead to the disturbed rhythm.

I suggest you visit your doctor or cardiologist, who will ascertain the cause of the same as your weight is on the higher side, younger age, and high blood pressure with palpitations few other conditions to be ruled out. Also, if it is primary hypertension, Indapamide may not be the first medicine to start with.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards.

Can you please interpret this ECG for me?

#

As such, ECG (electrocardiogram) shows no major changes. However, it does show tachycardia (increase in heart rate) with ST-segment depression. You may have to do Echocardiography (more like an ultrasound of the heart) to understand more. You may need to be started on medications to control your heart rate. Also, both tests may be repeated after a month of medications.

Take care.

|