Q. What causes flutters in chest?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Oct 29, 2019

I am a 28-year-old male, in good shape and exercise 5 to 6 times per week. Lately, I have been feeling weird flutters in my chest. Started wearing a heart rate monitor. It showed my average resting heart rate at 44 BPM, which seems low. Noticed these symptoms are happening almost daily and heightened if I drink any alcohol (1 or 2 beers). Recently, did an ECG. It looked normal. I did another one when my heart felt fluttery and showed some weird results.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

Do you feel as if your heart is racing? Have you ever noticed any dizziness or fainting? Is there any family history of heart disease? Since it started has it been progressing? It could be palpitations you are experiencing which are often benign. But I will love for you to upload the ECG result, let me study to make sure there is no underlying pathology. Best regards.

I do not feel as if my heart is racing. And I do not believe there is history of heart disease in my family. It does not feel to be progressing. It seems to be about the same for the last few weeks. I have attached one normal ECG and then a few of the ones that were abnormal.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I have studied the ECG test results that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have premature ventricular contractions (PVC). Yours is benign since you do not have a family history of heart disease or history of heart disease.

Firstly, you will need to modify your life a little. Reduce alcohol, tobacco or caffeine. These are the most common triggers. Sleep for 6 to 7 hours a day. Do cardio exercises 3 to 4 times a week. If after 1 to 2 months you do not get relief or the frequency increases, you might need a medication known as beta blocker such as Bisoprolol.You do not need to worry. It is not life threatening. Hopefully you will get better with these adjustments. Best regards.

Why is there irregular heartbeat with chest and shoulder pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female, no current medications, no known conditions, family history of many different heart problems on both maternal and paternal sides, seen by a cardiologist for bigeminy and irregular heartbeat over the summer, palpations still happen pretty often, chest and sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar Md, Facc
Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you have is called premature ventricular contractions (AKA PVCs), which are extra beats coming from the bottom chamber of the heart and in some occasions they present in every other beat (what is called ventricular bigeminy) (attachment removed to protect patient ide...  Read Full

Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old healthy young man. I do not drink or smoke but I do work a lot. I work for 60 hours actually and just moved out of my house with my family. I got my own new place as well as trying to maintain a relationship with my current girlfriend. I do not really have any health...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). All the tests are fine. The cardiologist said your heart is normal. So, you do not have to worry. Tablet Metoprolol has been given for symptomatic relief for your palpitation. Probab...  Read Full

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report that you have provided. He is having the tachycardia-bradycardia syndrome. In this case, the pacemaker avoids his bradycardia episodes only. For his tachycardia episodes, drugs can be given. Sometimes the drug controls it perfectly...  Read Full