Q. What could be the reason for my chest trembling?

Dr. Anoop Mathew
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

Occasionally, I feel the random trembling feel on the right side of the left breast nipple. It may occur once a day, but not on every day. There is no pain and it started a week ago. I do also feel pain in stomach and heartburn. I am currently on Pan 40 at night and Ecosprin once a week. I am a 91 year old male. My weight is 78 kg and height is 5'5". I had an ECG and USG done. Is there any serious heart problem?

Dr. Anoop Mathew

Cardiology
#

I understand that you are having palpitations. At your age, disturbances in heart rhythm are very common.

About 1 out of 5 people in their 90's have this condition known as atrial fibrillation. Hence, we need to rule that out.

If the condition does not resolve by itself, what I would do is to get an echocardiogram done in addition to a 24-hour monitoring of ECG (electrocardiogram).

The 24-hour ECG monitoring is called Holter test and can be done easily at most of the local hospitals. These two tests will tell us if there is anything wrong with the structure and electric rhythm of your heart.

• Do you feel any symptoms like shortness of breath on walking or chest pain on walking? Have you ever been on treatment for hypertension?

Your ECG shows slow conduction (attachment removed to protect patient identity), so you definitely need a Holter test.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

During leisurely walks there is no shortness of breath or chest pain on walking. We live at an altitude of 1230 meters above sea level in a pollution free environment. High pressure has never been an issue till date. I shall follow up with the Holter test and echocardiogram if the conditions continue for more than two weeks. These tests are not available at all the hospitals in my remote place of stay. Thank you for your opinion. Hope to consult you again.

Dr. Anoop Mathew

Cardiology
#

• Yes, if you have persistent symptoms, then you can get those tests done.
  • Alternatively, if there is a sustained heartbeat sensation, then you could get a repeat ECG done at the time of symptoms.
  • As it is likely to pick up the ECG variations when you are having ongoing symptoms, the ECG changes are mostly transient. Also watch out for symptoms like blackout or dimness of vision.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|