Q. Why do my heart rate rise immensely even with moderate exercises?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2020

Is it bad if my heart rate jumps up to very high bpm very quickly during even moderate exercises?

I am a 26-year-old male. My height is 5' 11" and weighs about 190 lbs who has always been in good shape. I lift every day and usually during the summers, I run about two miles a day at around a six minutes pace. I have a resting heart rate of 58 bpm and no matter what I do my heart rate always jumps up during even the most minor activity.

Two days ago, I went for a 20 minutes leisure walk with my wife and my heart rate averaged 120 bpm and got there in about 10 seconds. If I run at a pace any faster than 9 minutes a mile, my heart rate will jump to above 185 bpm in under 30 seconds and at my fastest, it stays around 200 bpm for as many miles as I run. Now, it has been like this for as long as I can remember and I never feel extra winded or take long to recover I just know it is not normal. Please help.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

The problem you are having is called palpitations. Your baseline heart rate is 58 beats/minute and your maximum heart rate is around 200 beats per minute that is almost three times the baseline heart rate.

Heart rate as high as 200 beats per minute can even lead to sudden cardiac death and cardiac arrest. This should be taken very seriously and some of the baseline tests of cardiology are to be done to rule out the cause. 24-hour Holter monitoring is most important for you as it will record the nature of your palpitations, whether they are arrhythmia or just simple supraventricular tachycardia. 2D echo and treadmill test to rule out cardiac functions as your arrhythmia is precipitated only during exercise.

| 

Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old healthy young man. I do not drink or smoke but I do work a lot. I work for 60 hours actually and just moved out of my house with my family. I got my own new place as well as trying to maintain a relationship with my current girlfriend. I do not really have any health...  Read Full »

Can GERD cause increased heart rate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been waking up from a racing heart accompanied by belching at night sometimes two or 3 times a night. At times the HR has been in the 140s after I get up and belch a few times my heart rate returns to normal. I have had my heart completely checked out along with a 30 day mon...  Read Full »

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »