Q. Among Mirtazapine and Maprotiline, which one is good for my panic attacks and anxiety?

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki

I would like to know the pros and cons of Mirtazapine versus Maprotiline. I am taking Mirtazapine for five weeks. A family member has been on Maprotiline for a few years and brought it to my attention. And now, I am experiencing panic attacks and anxiety. Which one is good?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for this query.

Mirtazapine and Maprotiline are antidepressants medicines but they have different groups of chemical compounds.

Mirtazapine has more sedative action than Maprotiline; that is why you are feeling tired after taking that. However, Maprotiline has more side effects like dryness of the mouth, difficulty in urination, etc. I would suggest reviewing your medicine with your psychiatrist as there are some safer options like Paroxetine.

I hope my answer cleared your doubt.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the reply.

What are some other safer options for panic attacks and anxiety?

Thanks.

#

For panic attacks, we generally advise taking Paroxetine, Sertraline, Fluoxetine, and Venlafaxine. Because these medicines do not have a sedative action, so you will not feel tired and drowsy. You can switch to any of these.

And, I would suggest you go for CBT (Cognitive behavior therapy) along with the medicines. It will help you to deal with your thoughts, and gradually you will not need any medication.

|