Q. Does panic attack cause sharp chest pain?

Answered by Dr. Anoop Mathew and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Panic Attack or Meditation? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Does panic attack cause sharp chest pain?

I am 27 years old. I had sharp chest pain on the bus. I suddenly got off from the bus and rushed to a local doctor. My BP was 150/90 and heartbeat was 140 bpm. Then doctor checked ECG and he said it was due to the acidity that I got pain. I have gone through TMT also and got a negative result. Next day, I rushed to another hospital and the doctor did a series of tests. He also concluded the same thing. I was very anxious because it happened the first time in my life. I was worried that, whether I will have a heart attack in the next coming days and always kept thinking the same. The doctor suggested me to consult a psychiatrist. Psychiatrist termed it a panic attack. Nowadays, I am trying not to get anxious and not to worry about that. Currently, I am taking the acidity tablet twice weekly. But, I still get some sharp pain in the chest. I do not know the reason and it leads to negative thinking. So, I need your suggestion on this matter.