Q. Can panic attack occur while taking antidepressants?

Answered by Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Panic Disorder or Anxiety? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 29 year old female with a 15 year history of panic disorder with medicine sensitivity. I have been on Effexor XR 75 mg for six months and have been stable. Last week my tooth was pulled out and I was put on Motrin 800. I had around two tablets for three days and it made me feel fuzzy and my chest heavy. My vitals are all normal. My boyfriend is a surgeon and he monitored me. I was also put on Amoxicillin 875 mg BID. After my follow-up visit with oral surgeon, I was put on Z-Pak. Within a few hours of my first dose of Z-Pak I felt sick. That night, I woke up with chest pain and dizziness and had a panic attack. It subsided after a few minutes, but I have not been feeling good since. I do have a low grade temperature (99.2), chills and hot flashes. When I am sick, my anxiety does kick into high gear. I took Ativan 0.5 mg. I am nervous because this is the most anxiety I have had in a while. Does this mean my Effexor is not working?