Pap Smear

Papanicolaou test or otherwise called a Pap test or smear is the procedure used to collect cells from the cervix (lower part of the uterus). It is a routine procedure, where the tissue lining the cervix is gently scraped off. These cells are then tested for any abnormality, which might be indicative of cervical cancer.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

After a routine pap smear I developed a growth on the lips of my vagina. Is it due to the pap smear?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a regular pap smear recently and the following day I began to have pain and irritation on one side of my vagina lip. I figured it was because of the pap smear. That night I had to sleep without underwear and keep my legs open to avoid any pain and friction. The next day I investiga...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. It seems to be due to folliculitis during the procedure. As sterile gloves, speculum disposable is used nowadays so there is no chance of getting an infection in such a way. Clean the vagina with vaginal wash regularly. Apply betadine cre...  Read Full »

My Pap smear revealed abnormal high-grade cells HPV positive. My right ovary was removed, and since then, it has hurt to have sex. What can this be?

Query: Hi doctor, Just last week, I got a pap smear and just got the results. Pap smear: Abnormal high-grade cells HPV positive. Last year around this time, it was the same thing. Five years ago, I had my right ovary removed and part of my left, and since then times it has hurt to have sex and have to use ...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your query. HPV (human papillomavirus) type 16, 18 is famous for causing cervical carcinoma. First, affecting the cervix by damaging its normal cells. Suppose a cervical smear comes positive for HPV with abnormal texture. In that case, it needs urgent foll...  Read Full »

I had HPV and LEEP 12 years ago. Are my current symptoms due to cancer?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 32 year old female. I had HPV and LEEP 12 years ago. Now, I have the following symptoms: Bleeding during sex. Heavy periods. Extra painful abdomen pain. Heavy feeling of fatigue and headaches. Could I have cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to All the symptoms you have mentioned warrant a doctor visit with a full examination and Pap smear as a minimum, and colposcopy to be very sure. With your HPV and LEEP background, it is even more important that you get this done on priority. In all probability, it may be no...  Read Full »

What are the risks of conducting biopsy on a pregnant woman?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair Bhaskaran

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your situation and concern. You have to undergo colposcopy and if necessary biopsy too. It can be done during pregnancy and the only problem may happen is mild bleeding, which can be managed. If the lesion is mild, then it can be followed up. Moder...  Read Full »

The HPV test is negative and Pap smear shows some abnormalities. Kindly give your opinion.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's Pap smear test and HPV test showed CIN1 and HPV 16 positive three years back. Two years back, the colposcopy was normal. One month back, Pap smear test and HPV test were repeated. The result was negative for HPV, but the Pap smear showed some changes and abnormalities. Could yo...  Read Full »

Dr. Nisha Marhatta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to HPV (human papillomavirus) is a virus that can cause cervical cancer. It can occasionally infect, and the body clears it up by normal immune defense mechanism; if that fails, subtle changes can happen at the cervix, which over the years can progress into cancer. However...  Read Full »

How is HPV diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, A month back, I did a Pap smear and it came back abnormal. I was told that I have HPV. My doctor did colposcopy two weeks back. It showed normal results. What does this mean? Do I have HPV? Can I have a low risk? I do not have any warts.  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hi, Welcome to There are some differences between the tests that you have done. I will try to explain it. A Pap smear is a test used to screen whether a woman has a cancerous or precancerous cell over the mouth of the uterus. It is basically a screening test for cervical cancer. As it...  Read Full »

My PAP smear test could not be processed due to excessive cervical mucus and lubrication in the specimen. Does it indicate an abnormal PAP smear or cervical cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a PAP smear last week. Today I received the result that said I was HPV-negative. Still, later I received an email from the gynecologist: “The lab, unfortunately, could not process the PAP smear results due to excessive cervical mucous and lubrication that was in the specimen per ...  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. I have reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your report is negative for any carcinoma and pathology, so there is no need to worry about it. There is no HPV (human papilloma v...  Read Full »

Can you please interpret my Pap smear report?

Query: Hi doctor, About three months ago, I got a Pap smear for the first time and it came back with abnormal HPV positive. My doctor did not really go in depth. So, I proceeded to get another Pap smear with another doctor about a week and it came back normal. I asked the doctor about my HPV and he said e...  Read Full »

Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to No need to get any further HPV (human papilloma virus) test as the repeated Pap smear was normal.Besides that, the more important thing in a Pap smear report is the histopathology. From what you say, it sounds as of the type of cells in the smear was normal.There is nothi...  Read Full »

My pap test shows endocervical and squamous cells. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a Pap done last week and I got the results back today. It says I am negative for an intraepithelial lesion of malignancy (NIL). And under specimen adequacy, it says satisfactory for evaluation. Endocervical and/or squamous cells (endocervical component) are present. What does th...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Pap smear is a cervical cancer screening tool for gynecologists. Firstly, whenever a sample is observed under the microscope, the pathologist has to comment on the adequacy of the sample. Your cervix has ectocervix (containing squamous, flat cells), and an endocervix (con...  Read Full »

I have dysuria and dysmenorrhea, along with the presence of dark clots during my period. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35-year-old female. It has been a year since I started experiencing pain during my monthly period. I did not have any problems before regarding my period. Then, I experienced severe dysmenorrhea. I feel more unusual pain, especially when urinating. Heaviness leads to pain when u...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. It would be best if you had some investigations to reach the cause of the pain. Pain during menstruation could be premenstrual syndrome, but heaviness, painful micturition, and previous history of inflamed Pap smear...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.