Q. My child accidentally ate a Paracetamol tablet. What should I do?

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

My child ate a Paracetamol tablet (not fully) a few minutes back. But he did not vomit. Is it a serious issue? What should we do?

#

Paracetamol poisoning is one of the most common poisonings in children. Considering your baby's average weight (around 10 kg), the dose is 65 mg/kg (650 mg tablet), which is a very high dose. Though the average toxic dose is 200 mg/kg, and the dose is very high, we need to monitor the child. When did it happen? Did he take only one tablet or more? Did the child vomit it out or not? It is potentially dangerous.

My baby did not vomit it out.

#

Can I know how much tablet did the child took?

I have sent the picture of the remaining tablet.

#

I saw the picture of the tablet (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Are you sure that it is all that child took? It looks like the baby took some 10 percent of the tablet.

Yes, I am sure. My baby took only this much.

#

If only this much of tablet that baby had taken (10% approximately), nothing to worry. Still watch for any symptoms like vomiting, jaundice (yellow eyes), etc. We will wait and watch.

Should I take him to the hospital if he vomits or gets yellow eyes?

#

Please let me know if that happens. If he gets yellow eyes, go to the doctor immediately. If he vomits, let me know, then we will decide whether to go to the hospital or not. I am sure that nothing will happen. Be relaxed.

Thank you for your help.

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further help.

| 

My wife took Dolo 10 tablets, 10 tablets of Cetirizine, and 10 Tryptomer tablets at a time. Is anything serious about it?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife took Dolo 650 mg 10 tablets and 10 tablets of Cetirizine tablets and 10 Tryptomer 10 mg tablets at a time. Is anything serious about it? As she is not willing to come to the hospital.  Read Full »

Why do I have a bloody spot near the back of my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some issues with my throat from the past couple of months. I feel a tightness in the neck. I do not have a runny nose, but I have post-nasal drip and lots of phlegm or mucus in the mornings. I feel like I need to clear my throat a lot. The symptoms seemed to go away fo...  Read Full »

Is vomiting a cause of prominence of the vessels of sclera?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. I was bulimic for about a year. It happens once or twice a week. I never noticed any permanent changes in my eyes throughout my episodes. However, the last time I ever binged and purged three months ago, I vomited violently. A few weeks after this, I noticed tha...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»