Q. My child accidentally ate a Paracetamol tablet. What should I do?

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

My child ate a Paracetamol tablet (not fully) a few minutes back. But he did not vomit. Is it a serious issue? What should we do?

#

Paracetamol poisoning is one of the most common poisonings in children. Considering your baby's average weight (around 10 kg), the dose is 65 mg/kg (650 mg tablet), which is a very high dose. Though the average toxic dose is 200 mg/kg, and the dose is very high, we need to monitor the child. When did it happen? Did he take only one tablet or more? Did the child vomit it out or not? It is potentially dangerous.

My baby did not vomit it out.

#

Can I know how much tablet did the child took?

I have sent the picture of the remaining tablet.

#

I saw the picture of the tablet (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Are you sure that it is all that child took? It looks like the baby took some 10 percent of the tablet.

Yes, I am sure. My baby took only this much.

#

If only this much of tablet that baby had taken (10% approximately), nothing to worry. Still watch for any symptoms like vomiting, jaundice (yellow eyes), etc. We will wait and watch.

Should I take him to the hospital if he vomits or gets yellow eyes?

#

Please let me know if that happens. If he gets yellow eyes, go to the doctor immediately. If he vomits, let me know, then we will decide whether to go to the hospital or not. I am sure that nothing will happen. Be relaxed.

Thank you for your help.

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further help.

|