Q. What is Brown-Sequard Syndrome?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

In case of Brown-Sequard Syndrome - left side damage, I am just wondering why the muscle strength grade of the left leg flexion 0/5 and left leg extension 2/5?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Brown-Sequard syndrome is damage to half of the spinal cord with complete paralysis on one side with loss of touch sensation and complete loss of pain and temperature on the opposite side.
  • The information you have provided is not complete. It is important to know muscle strength of all muscle groups as well as the sensory function.
  • However, when paralysis is not complete as in this case, it means it is an incomplete Brown-Sequard syndrome with sparing of a few fibers.

Revert back with the asked information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|