Q. How to overcome the fear of my boyfriend cheating on me again?

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2021

My boyfriend cheated on me several times when we were dating, and I had no idea about it. But, we patched things up and got engaged. I love and have feelings for him. I keep worrying that he is going to cheat on me again. He is not cheating on me now, but I still have a weird possessiveness building inside me. I think I have gone crazy and in trauma, as I have been cheated several times. I cannot let the fact go that he cheated on me, and I am really freaking out. What is wrong with me?

#

I can understand your situation.

• After knowing that your boyfriend was cheating on you in the past, you have repetitive intrusive thoughts that he can cheat again.
  • This feeling of suspiciousness is normal to some extent, but if it is troubling you, making you restless, and disturbing your daily routine, then treatment is required.
  • I will suggest you forget the past, you have already planned to marry him. It will be better if you have positive thoughts in your mind. You can also visit a psychiatrist for counseling and behavioral therapies, to learn how to control negative thoughts.
  • Keep yourself busy in work, do some light exercises, yoga, etc. Talk to your boyfriend about how you feel. It will help overcome negative thoughts.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|