Q. I am confused about my decision of getting divorce. Kindly help me.

Answered by
Dr. Kiran Lakhani
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2017

Hi doctor,

I have asked my husband for a divorce. I am not happy or in love with him. For eight years, he was into gambling and hardly contributed to our household. He has now stopped gambling for around three months since he found out that I was talking with another man. I have been trying to convince myself to love my husband again since he has changed, but I could not. He is now trying to make me feel guilty and is threatening me. We have a son aged 7. Am I a bad person by seeking divorce in order to find my inner peace and happiness? Should I stay with my husband out of guilt and pity just because he has stopped gambling and remembered that he has a family?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for writing to us. We are happy to help you.

  • I have gone through what you have shared, and it seems that you are going through a difficult time with regards to your husband. I understand how it feels to be in a relationship which is not giving you anything and it is only taking away from you.
  • When you say you have asked your husband for a divorce, did you do that legally or just verbally?
  • A relationship needs efforts from both the sides, and as per the information shared by you, you are the only one who has been taking care of your son alone and looking after the household.
  • Did he take money from you for gambling or is he working? Is there any other kind of abuse involved in your relationship?
  • Taking a decision as to should you stay with him or not depends entirely on you. However, to take this decision what will help is to weigh all pros and cons carefully, if possible take advice or suggestion from someone who knows both of you and can still stay objective.
  • Also, it is important to think about the kind of future you are looking for your life. Does that include your husband?
  • Regarding te feelings of guilt that prop up, are they what he is inducing or are they your own? Do you feel you would be doing something wrong by getting out of this relationship?
  • Answering the above questions will help you get clarity as to what should be done next and what would be best for your future.

Revert with more information to a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply. The feeling of guilt is due to that he has quit gambling for the last three months and now helps financially, treating me nice and yet I cannot feel in love with him. The wounds are too deep. I feel pity for him that if I divorce him, he will be sad and destroyed. He understands that I seriously want a divorce. He says things for me to feel sorry for him and when these words are not working, he begins threatening me. I understand he is hurt now, but will he eventually calm down and accept what I want? Am I selfish? Should I just stay with him and be miserable for the rest of my life for him not to suffer? We also have a son aged 7.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • I understand that it is hard to take a decision. Your husband is making your life easier and at the same time expecting all the past be forgotten just like that. And you find it difficult to forgive and forget what has happened.
  • I would again suggest you pen down positives and negatives of your marriage and share it.
  • Out of whatever you have shared till now, positives are he has stopped gambling and started contributing at home monetarily.
  • The negatives are reminds you of the past and makes you feel guilty for wanting to have divorce.

Please add on the list and take a decision wisely.

For further advice consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

Was this answer helpful?


Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can bowel movements get disturbed after marriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I got married before 10 months and since then my lifestyle has changed. As a result of this, I am suffering from increased bowel movement. Over last three months it has become very frequent for almost two to three times a day. Sometimes they are fine but at times stools are like soft porr...  Read Full »

I am stressed with my inability and erection problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I have been married for four years now and have a 2.5 year old kid. The problem is that I hardly ever feel to have sex with my wife. I started noticing this issue after a couple of weeks into the marriage. I get an erection at the initial stage, but cannot sustain the ...  Read Full »

My sister feels depressed after marriage. How to deal with this?

Query: Hi doctor,Three years ago, my sister got married. But, her marriage lasted only for one month. According to her, the boy was not physically and mentally fit. So, she came back to live with us. She was very mentally disturbed at that time. A few months back, her second marriage got fixed again, and t...  Read Full »

Also Read

Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.