Q. Does my daughter's thyroid level warrant a follow up?

Answered by Dr. Swaraj S W.

Do you have a question on Parvovirus Infection or Tsh Level? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My daughter is 17 years now. We took her to ER for joint pain. Her joint pain started in the lower back three days ago and within a day, it was in all of her joints. But, there is no rash and fever. Two doctors saw her in the ER said that she needs further testing apart from laboratory tests. They ordered an ultrasound of her thyroid and suggest an MRI of thyroid depending on the ultrasound. They did not think she had a virus and referred us to a third doctor. The third follow up doctor believes that she has Parvovirus B19 (it is going around in her school) and nothing to bother following up on her laboratory reports or with the thyroid. Her TSH is 5.12 U/mL, and anti TPO is 19.15 IU/mL. Parvovirus B19 blood work showed IgM antibodies are 5.0 (negative) and IgG antibodies are 138.8 (positive). Other laboratory reports that are out of the normal range are red blood cells 5,520,000 per cubic mm, hemoglobin 15.6 g/dL, hematocrit 46.7% and CRP 0.76 mg/dL. Do her thyroid tests warrant a follow up to check for hypothyroidism? Does her Parvovirus blood work indicate an ongoing infection or does it indicate an immunity? Many thanks for any advice on how to proceed. I have other laboratory reports, but I only included those outside the normal range. Thank you.