Q. Will Medroxyprogesterone tablets that are taken for PCOD delay my periods?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I got my last period ten months back. I have PCOD. For that, I take medication. After my last period, I stopped the medication for a month and took Tablet Medroxyprogesterone to induce periods. I got my period last week, but it got over by two days. I wanted to know if Tablet Medroxyprogesterone can cause breakthrough bleeding if I am pregnant. I have not taken a pregnancy test yet.

Kindly advise.

#

Tablet Medroxyprogesterone is a progestogen that can cause irregular bleeding and spotting-like symptoms after treatment, even after quitting. PCOD (polycystic ovary disease) is a female hormonal imbalance that causes abnormal symptoms, including irregular or absent menses, abnormal hair growth, polycystic ovary, weight gain, etc. If along with PCOD, extra hormones are taken, some times the body can reacts favourably or have side effects due to hormonal imbalance. Every woman's body shows some side effects like irregular menses, spotting intermenstrual or heavy menses, short, frequent cycles, etc. I suggest you follow a healthy lifestyle with nutritious food, daily walk, exercise, etc. Try to reduce body weight. It will help the most.

|