Q. Is it advisable to take ayurvedic medicine for PCOD while on Eltroxin?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

I have hypothyroid and PCOD. I am taking Eltroxin 100 mcg. I have been put on Deviry tablets a few times to regularize periods. I am looking for a permanent cure for PCOD. I read from your posts that kalarchi choornam is effective. Can I take them along with thyroid Eltroxin tablets? Or will there be any interaction? What is your suggested treatment for my PCOD?

#

You have hypothyroidism and PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). You are not trying to get pregnant now. So, it is time to take strict Siddha medications to get a complete cure from PCOD. I advise you to continue Eltroxin tablet. During your regular visit, the physician will regulate its dose based on hormonal values. So, you no need to worry about that. In many people, Siddha drug renders the possibility of reducing Eltroxin dose. For PCOD, please follow the following medical advice.

a) Kumari legium (Van kumari legium), take 2 gm (one spoon) in the morning and evening before food or Aloes compounds two tablets in the morning and two in the evening after food.

b) Tablet Chithira moola kuligai one tablet in the morning and one in the night after food. c) Kalarchi chooranam 1.5 gm in the morning and evening after food with hot water or milk. If you do not get this drug in the market, you can prepare as follows:

Kalarchi (Bonduc nut) seed (remove outer shell and use only the inner kernel) - 100 gm

Black pepper - 10 gm

Asafoetida (fried) - 10 gm, Keep these in a mixie jar and make a powder. The drug is ready. Store in a container. d) Malai vembathi thailam or Kalingaathi thailam (both or same) 5 ml daily during the night before bed. After some days, you can increase its dose a few drops.

Continue all these drugs. Within three months, you will get periods. Then also during menstrual bleeding days, stop all drugs. Again, start from day fifth of the bleeding day. Continue for six months. Your uterus and ovary will become normal.

Suppose, if you do not get bleeding, but only few spots, then consider it as the bleeding. If you do not get even a spot, then do not worry, you continue these drugs for six months. Tender arasam leaf (peepal tree), collect the tender leaves. Grind three leaves and mix with milk (like milkshake). Consume this in the morning. Continue this daily morning until you become normal. If you get more tender leaves at a time, dry them and powder it. Then take 1 gm and mix in milk. If you do not like milk, then use buttermilk or water. This is another important home remedy for PCOD.

All these Siddha medicines should be taken or one is enough? Can I take Eltroxin tablets along with this?

#

All these drugs should be taken together. Each has a specific function to maintain your endometrium, uterine muscles, ovarian function, balancing hormone, and preparing the uterus for future conception. Hence, all to be taken together. At least a, b, c should be taken simultaneously. Drug d and e can be taken if possible. Eltroxin tablets should not be stopped and taken with Siddha drugs. Siddha drugs do not interfere with its action.

|