Q. I have a white bump on my frenulum and I am not sexually active. What causes it?

Dr. Snehal Laul

I have had a white bump next to my frenulum for a few years, and it has not gone away. Since I have not been sexually active, I guess it to be a wart. I have attached the pictures for your reference.

Kindly suggest a treatment to get rid of this.

Thanks.

#

I saw the pictures you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Before starting the treatment, kindly answer the following questions to help you better;

1) Is the lesion tender or painful?

2) Do you scratch or rub the lesion?

3) Is there a popping or pricking history?

4) Any injury or microtrauma in past?

5) Did you contact with irritant chemical?

6) Are you allergic to soap?

Thanks for the reply.

It is tender or painful only if I prick it or try to squeeze it. Otherwise it feels fine. I have had no injury in the past. I am not allergic to soap.

Kindly help.

#

It is a Pearly penile papule. It is benign lesion and is harmless. If esthetics is of concern, CO2 laser (carbon dioxide) treatment with local anesthesia is advised. Otherwise it is benign harmless lesion that resolves spontaneouly.I advise you to avoid popping or pricking the lesion as it may cause secondary bacterial infection. Maintain adequate genital hygiene.

If the lesion is painful or tender apply T-Bact cream (Mupirocin) twice daily for ten days. Regards.

Thank you so much for the suggestions.

#

You are most welcome. Pearly penile papules are pearly white dome shaped papules present circumferentialy on coronal margin or sulcus of glans penis. They can be skin colored, smooth, rounded, 1 to 3 mm papules around coronal sulcus of glans. It is seen more in uncircumcised males. It is nothing but hypertrophic sebaceous gland which do not require any treatment. If the patient is concerned laser ablation or shave excision can be done.

Did you undergo circumcision and any history of recurrent balanitis?

|