Q. Is there any exercise to tighten the bulbospongiosus muscle?

Dr. Garima Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I heard of kegel exercise in women for tightening the pelvic floor muscles. It mainly describes about tightening of pubococcygeus muscles in the pelvic region. My doubt is that, is there any exercise to tighten the bulbospongiosus muscle which lies at the opening of vagina as like that of tightening of pubococcygeus muscle by doing kegel exercise. Because, when I do kegel exercise I am not able to observe any movement in the bulbospongiosus muscles or I can say, there is no movement near the vaginal entry. Is it possible to contract bulbospongiosus muscles intentionally as like of uplifting or squeezing pubococcygeus muscles in kegel exercise? Kindly suggest.

#

• First of all bulbospongiosus and pubococcygeus are the different part of pelvic floor muscles, and kegel exercise works on all these muscles to strengthen them. There are no separate exercises for individual muscle.
  • It is important to know for what reason you want to do this exercise.  Is there any urinary problem or sexual problem or any other?
  • So that, if your problem is not getting cured with this exercise then further treatment can be offered.
  • To get best result of this exercise you should perform it at least three times a day with at least 20-30 repetitions.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|