Q. There is small amount of fluid in para-adenexal area and posterior CDS. Please help.

Dr. Sabita Laskar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Oct 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 30, 2019

Right ovary contains 3.6x2.1x3.1cm cyst, thick septation and few punctate echogenic lesions within lumen. Previously cyst measured 3.8x2.4cm abutting ovary. Adjacent ovarian parenchyma contains 6 mm and 15 mm follicles. Small amount of fluid was seen in para-adnexal area and posterior CDS.

My questions are: 1. Small amount of fluid in para-adnexal area and posterior CDS. Is this normal? Why is it there?

2. The 6 mm and 15 mm follicles in ovarian parenchyma. Are these normal to be there?

3. What is the thick septation and how is it formed?

4. What are the lesions in my lumen? I believe it is ovarian lumen. Do they form normally with ovarian cysts? They are echogenic so sounds like they may be solid. Could they be malignant?

5. Finally, what type of cyst will this fall under? My doctors are not giving me any specific name and I really need to know what kind of cyst name it falls under.

I did a blood report and my blood work is normal. My weight is normal and I feel minimal symptoms. So far this cyst has little impact on my quality of life. What are the most worrisome parts of this report? Can I still get pregnant?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I will try to give you answers to the best of my knoweldge.

Small amount of fluid is expected near posterior cul de sac and para adnexal area during ovulation time. Although it can be seen during pelvic inflammatory disease. Multiple follicle grow every month in both the ovaries which later on is dominated by a single follicle which continues to grow to a certain size, and later ruptures releasing the egg. So your 6 mm and 15 mm follicles are normal to be there.

Without doing a histopathological examination, it is difficult to tell about the origin of the thick septation but as most of the ovarian cysts are epitheleal in origin, so 90 % chances are they are made of some kind of epitheleal tissue. Any kind of debris inside the cyst will give rise to echogenicity in USG. It could be blood, it could be tissues of different origin. There are different types of ovarian cyst, to rule out malignancy you need to do certain tumor markers like CA 125, etc., and MRI or CT scan.

Since it is receding in size, my best guess that your cyst is some kind of retention cyst of ovary. There is a large possibility that the cyst will regress soon. I think your cyst is an incidental finding as you have stated there is minimal symptom. Your gynecologist will be the best person to advise you in this matter. So discuss with her about the various possibilities and methods of treatment.

I have pelvic pain with mild foul smelling watery discharge. Will this affect my fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, Before two years, I got married. I have pelvic pain for around seven months. I also had back pain. But I neglected it, thinking that it might be some digestion issue. Now, I am getting a mild foul smelling watery discharge for the past one month. Will this affect my fertility? Last month...  Read Full »

How to consume Kalarchi Choornam to get rid of multiple ovarian cysts?

Query: Hi doctor, How to consume Kalarchi Choornam to completely get rid of multiple cysts in both ovaries. It is not pcod but countless multiple cysts on both ovaries. Please clarify, how much and how many times should I consume daily? And for how long? Is it fine to take the medicine during menstrual cy...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for ovarian cysts?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cysts in both my ovaries. I had medications for a while, but I stopped using them. Since then, I have been vomiting almost everything I eat, and my stomach gets swollen all the time. I feel uncomfortable. I feel really sick every time I go to the restroom (almost every half hour...  Read Full »