Q. I am 65 years old, and I am experiencing pelvic pain and nipple discharge on and off. Why?

Dr. Manisha Auradkar Raghunath Auradkar

I am a 65 years old female of height 4'10" and weight 187 pounds. I take Lisinopril as I have type II diabetes and some breathing issues. A year ago, I had pelvic pain in the evenings and some very light, occasional spotting that I think was vaginal for several weeks. I also had some very rare light spotting from one nipple. I had a mammogram, which was fine, and a transvaginal ultrasound, which was also fine. That showed several follicles on my right ovary but no masses anywhere, and the uterus was of normal thickness. I had no memorable pelvic pain throughout the year, maybe on rare occasions, but the spotting has recurred, or a feeling that I am leaking a drop of breast milk. However, for the past six weeks or so, I have been experiencing pelvic pain again. I am trying to avoid going to the hospital for an appointment during the pandemic. What are some likely causes of this problem? Thank you.

#

I can understand your concern. It has been around six weeks since you are experiencing pelvic pain. There are different reasons for this like, and it can be associated with endometriosis, infectious cause, sometimes due to hormonal imbalance. To know the exact cause, ultrasound of the lower abdomen needs to be done. Also, there are some blood tests that need to be done to rule out any malignant cause.

As it has been just six weeks, it cannot be called chronic pain. I suggest seeking a gynecologist's help in person is better. A physical examination is necessary before proceeding with further tests. Initially, if the pain subsides with painkillers prescribed by your doctor, then there is no reason to worry much. Recurring pain even after treatment should be carefully managed. So regular follow-ups are advised. Pandemic is there but taking appropriate measures like wearing a mask while visiting your doctor and use of sanitizer whenever needed can help you from the infection. So visiting a gynecologist is the best thing. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact for any further query in the future.

|