Q. I am 65 years old, and I am experiencing pelvic pain and nipple discharge on and off. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Manisha Auradkar Raghunath Auradkar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 17, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am a 65 years old female of height 4'10" and weight 187 pounds. I take Lisinopril as I have type II diabetes and some breathing issues. A year ago, I had pelvic pain in the evenings and some very light, occasional spotting that I think was vaginal for several weeks. I also had some very rare light spotting from one nipple. I had a mammogram, which was fine, and a transvaginal ultrasound, which was also fine. That showed several follicles on my right ovary but no masses anywhere, and the uterus was of normal thickness. I had no memorable pelvic pain throughout the year, maybe on rare occasions, but the spotting has recurred, or a feeling that I am leaking a drop of breast milk. However, for the past six weeks or so, I have been experiencing pelvic pain again. I am trying to avoid going to the hospital for an appointment during the pandemic. What are some likely causes of this problem? Thank you.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern. It has been around six weeks since you are experiencing pelvic pain. There are different reasons for this like, and it can be associated with endometriosis, infectious cause, sometimes due to hormonal imbalance. To know the exact cause, ultrasound of the lower abdomen needs to be done. Also, there are some blood tests that need to be done to rule out any malignant cause.

As it has been just six weeks, it cannot be called chronic pain. I suggest seeking a gynecologist's help in person is better. A physical examination is necessary before proceeding with further tests. Initially, if the pain subsides with painkillers prescribed by your doctor, then there is no reason to worry much. Recurring pain even after treatment should be carefully managed. So regular follow-ups are advised. Pandemic is there but taking appropriate measures like wearing a mask while visiting your doctor and use of sanitizer whenever needed can help you from the infection. So visiting a gynecologist is the best thing. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact for any further query in the future.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have pelvic pain for the second time in five years. Please suggest a treatment.

Your history suggests that you have a chronic mild to moderate inflammation of the pelvic organs, most probably the urinary bladder ... Ultrasonography of the abdomen and pelvis, especially of the kidneys, ureter, ...   Read full

I am advised to take Novastat while on insulin. Is it safe?

Hello doctor,I have been prescribed Novastat by a GP (no diabetes specialist was available ... I have seen reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), suggestive of newly detected type 2 d...   Read full

Why do I get anxiety and hot flushes at 4 PM everyday?

But, he changed my hypertension medicine from Lisinopril to Losartan and discontinued my diuretics ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»
Does a cold sore indicate cervical cancer?
Hi doctor,Can a cold sore virus cause cervical cancer? I never had sex before, but I have caught a cold sore from one of...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.