Q. My penis color has changed, and the skin above it is shining and scaly. Why?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

I have had a discoloration on my penis for a while. It does not itch, but the skin above it is a bit shining and scaly. It becomes dry and white post-erection.

Is this normal, and can it be treated? Would you advise any topical treatment, or do you think this is serious, and should I check it with a dermatologist with further investigations?

Please advise.

#

I understand your concern.

Since you do not have itching, it is xerosis (skin dryness). Usually, fungal infection or dermatitis has itching. I suggest you avoid soap for a while and use moisturizing creams as a topical application with mild antifungal and steroid combination as prescribed below topically for seven days.

1) Eumosone (Clobetasone)

2) Nevlon cream (gamma linoleic acid and aloe vera)

Mix them in a 1:1 ratio at the time of application, and use them twice daily.

Take care.

Thanks for your reply.

I have started the above treatment advised.

I am concerned about the discoloration observed. Is this normal? Being midst of a pandemic, I do not want to visit hospitals or clinics unless necessary.

Your reply would help in this.

Thanks.

#

As the skin is not thickened (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), it is better to treat xerosis or minimal dermatitis initially. So that I have prescribed only moisturizer and low potency steroid cream. The discoloration does not seem to be vitiligo as there are no surface changes like scaling. First, we should see the response to this treatment and then proceed accordingly. If it does not improve, I suggest you meet a dermatologist in person as it might require some laboratory tests.

For now, please continue this treatment and follow up after a week.

Take care.

|