HomeAnswersUrologypenile disordersI have noticed a discharge from my penis for a week, and I am concerned if it is a fungal infection. Kindly help.

Does discharge from the penis indicate fungal infection?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 1, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 14, 2024

Patient's Query

I have noticed a discharge from my penis from last week. I am concerned if that is a fungal infection.

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Vishal

Your first query consult is on us!

Discharge from the foreskin is mostly due to infection of the head of the penis (glans penis), it is called as balanitis. There may be difficulty in retraction of the foreskin also due to infection because infection leads to adhesion of head of penis and under layer of skin over penis. I suggest you follow few instructions: Physical examination by urologist or surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis of balanitis. If diagnosed, treatment can be started with antibiotics and antifungal cream. Check for diabetes because this infection is common in people having high blood sugar.

I hope this has helped you.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the reply.

I am concerned about the fungal infection that is coming from the penis.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Vishal

Glad to have you back!

I am here to help you get the best medical advice.

The discharge can occur from under the skin or from the penis hole. In both cases, infection is the most common cause. Diagnosis can only be confirmed on physical examination.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vaibhav Vishal
Dr. Vaibhav Vishal

Urology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Urology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy