Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have some skin infection on my penis. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. Gaurang Gupta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

In the past one month, I am noticing some skin infection on my penis skin when I pull it down. Should I see a skin specialist or sexual disease specialist?



Welcome to

  • Skin specialist and STD specialist (sexually transmitted disease) are the same. So, you go to skin specialist only.
  • If you can upload photos and explain the problem.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

I showed it to my doctor yesterday and he has advised me Azithromycin and Pan 40 with Quadriderm cream. But, still I would like you to check it as well.



Welcome back to

  • First, do not apply Quadriderm cream. It is a mixture of multiple medicines and it contains steroid too, which is very harmful.
  • I want to ask a few questions. Is it very painful? Please tell your sexual history? Have you had any sexual contact in the last one month?
  • Did blister of pus filled lesion appear? Are you taking any medicine, because it may due to drug reaction?
  • In photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is erosive lesion on the penis. So, there are two different diagnosis.
  1. Herpes.
  2. Erosion due to rubbing or contact pressure.
  • In both cases, apply T-Bact cream (Mupirocin) twice a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and apply the ointment.
  • If it is herpes, then you have to take Acyclovir and if not, then just apply T-Bact cream.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

No, it is not painful. Yes, I had sex and I tried anal sex with my girlfriend without protection. There are no such blisters, but I saw a growth with whiteheads below my penis base on the outer skin and also I noticed today some tiny bumps. They are tiny, but no pus filled. And some of the whiteheads on my penis base looks like pus filled, but they are not paining and it is white in appearance without any mouth opening. For the past three weeks, I was just applying Fourderm cream and Candid powder. Today, I just took my first dose of 1 g Azithromycin and tomorrow morning I will take Pan 40 in the empty stomach. I am really living with depression, please help me out of this. Please guide me with the appropriate dosage. I am sending you the photos of outside of my penis and inside there is no such blisters or anything.



Welcome back to

  • There are two things in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). One is a mild erosive lesion on the near tip of the penis, which is not herpes and due to rubbing while doing sex. So, for that thing just take antibiotics and T-bact cream.
  • Your second problem is whiteheads type lesion at the base of the penis. That is penile pearly papule (PPP) and that is a normal thing. It is not a disease or you got after sex.
  • It would be for many years, but noticed recently. These are glands which are prominent and totally a normal thing.
  • It secretes pre-sex mucus and lubricants, which is pre-ejaculation. It is just a normal thing and no treatment exist and required for that condition.
  • Keep the area clean and apply the cream it will go off itself. You do not have any STD. Your issues are due to too much of consciousness. So, just take it easy and complete the course. Everything will be fine.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My son suspects to have genital herpes. Is it safe for my pregnant daughter to be near him?

.. is no evidence of the infection, there is nothing to worry about. However, it is always better to get checked once and take necessary precautions. Just try to avoid sharing the toiletries in case you are suspicious about genital herpes. As the pr...   Read full

How to treat genital herpes?

.. thoroughly reviewed your health query and can well establish the sensitivity of issues you have. Thanks for uploading the labs here for reference (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are positive. You also m...   Read full

What is the reason for severe itch in genitals and the surrounding area?

Take tablet Terbicip 250 mg (Terbinafine hydrochloride) twice a day for the first week then once a day for next three weeks and complete a course of four weeks ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

There is a hole below my stomach with smelly pus discharging. Help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a hole underneath my stomach and it is discharging smelly pus every day. It burst two months ago. It is painful and smelly. Help me.  Read Full »

What Can Cause Sudden Tingling And Itchy Sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago I started feeling tingling and itching sensation between my thighs and then up to my chest. I just took the most painful shower ever (warm water). It stung and I wanted to scratch my skin off. At first there was nothing visible, just itching, now you can see red dots here...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.