Q. I have an infection on my penis that is not healing. What could it be?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2020

I am a 35 year old unmarried male. I have a patch on the inner part of the skin that covers the penis. I consulted a doctor. He asked me to take Cefix 200 twice daily, Atazis 1/2 morning and 1 in the evening for five days and MF Sudif ointment. He then asked me to continue these for two more days, but the infection is still present. The doctor said it is a side effect of Signoflam tablet and asked me to use Ultracet instead as pain killer next time. I have a medical history of having a moderate heart attack nine months ago while playing cricket following which a stent was placed. Since then, I am using Met XL 25 twice daily, Clopilet A 75mg in the noon, Atorvastatin 80 mg in the night. I have a BMI of 24.2. I do not have any other complications. Please find an image attached.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• From the image, it appears to be psoriasis (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • You will need a physical examination as well as skin biopsy and dermoscopy for a confirmation. Please visit a dermatologist for the same.
  • Please provide me the following information:
  1. Since when do you have this patch?
  2. Do you have itching or a history of discharge from the lesion?
  3. Do you have a similar patch anywhere else on the body?
  4. Does it resolve and appear again?
  5. Any history of unprotected sexual intercourse?
  • You can apply Desowen (Desonide) cream for seven days. It is a mild steroid which will help to reduce inflammation. So, do not over use it.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you doctor,

The patch is present from the last 20 days. There is no discharge. There was itching in the first two days. After that, it is just like a patch. I do not have any patches anywhere else. It is more or less the same from the last 20 days. I clean it and apply the ointment about six times a day. I do not have a history of unprotected sex. Will the overuse of the ointment make it ineffective?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• Do not overuse the MF Sudif (Fusidic acid) cream. Just use it twice a day. It contains a steroid and an over application of steroid has side effects.

|