Q. I have a rash of some kind on the head of my penis. What to do?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 24, 2020

I am a 22 year old man. I am currently 180 lbs and 6 ft. My symptoms today started about a week ago and has not gone away, but only grown a little. I have a rash of some kind on the head/shaft of my penis. It doesn’t uncontrollably itch or burn, but it is still worrisome. I have been in a monogamous relationship for the past three years and nothing like this has happened before.

It was pretty sudden. I realized it one day and nothing had changed in my personal life prior to this for this to happen. There has been no change in urination or ejaculation. No burning. It is really only itchy around the mark on my shaft. The bumps on the penile head are not itchy but kind of sensitive.

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Medicine
#

Dear!

I can truly understand that you’re worried and I thank you for sending a photo because when it is about skin issues it is always difficult without a photo.

It looks very much like dermatitis. However, is is not possible to determine the reason for it through the internet. Therefore you should see a dermatologist who will then perform a swab test in order to understand if this is caused by a viral infection, bacteria, a fungus, or something else.

So please settle an appointment with a dermatologist. Until then you can treat your penis with two creams that I will write down in the sections below this text.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Cause needs to found through swab test.

Swab test
Dermoscopy

Dermatitis of unknown reason.

* 1%-hydrocortisone cream
* Anti-fungal cream for the penis (ask your pharmacist for a locally available brand)

Attention: condoms can rupture when they are used on a creamed penis!

Avoid sex/intercourse and care for a high level of hygiene until the reason will have been found.

Any time you want.

|