Please suggest a cure for red and itchy rashes on the upper part of the penis and foreskin.

Q. I have some red and itchy rashes on the upper part of the penis and foreskin. Please advice.

Answered by
Dr. Ganesh Prasad Sankara Pandian
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am 38 years old. I am non-diabetic and I do not have any other problems. Before few weeks, I got some rashes on the upper part of my penis. I have two small swellings with red color in my foreskin. I have itching along with it. Now, I have a burning sensation while passing urine. But I do not have blood or pus with urine. Sometimes, my droplets remain even after urination. Before few days, I use to wash my foreskin and penis with soap due to heavy sweating on sunny days. I am not circumscribed and I have not undergone any treatment regarding this problem. Kindly advise.



Welcome to

Kindly attach a photo of the rash. Please mention whether you have a similar rash on any other part of the body. Please mention whether you have any recent history of sexual exposure. Please mention whether you still continue using soap for washing your foreskin.

Thank you doctor,

I do not have any similar rashes on the other parts of the body. I had a sexual relation with my wife before few weeks. Now, I have stopped washing my foreskin with soap. I am using water alone. Kindly go through the attached photos.



Welcome back to

Avoid using soap or any other agent for washing your genitals for the next two weeks. Just wash it with plain water. Avoid using condoms or having sex for the next two weeks. Use Mupimet ointment (Mupirocin) topically over the lesion after bathing for a week. You can use Betadine ointment topically over the rash on the penis before going to bed for a week. Use Lulifin ointment (Luliconazole) topically over the lesion in the second week. Have a review with a photo after two weeks.

Investigations to be done:

You need to do a urine routine test and urine culture and sensitivity test.

Differential diagnosis:

You seem to have contact dermatitis.

Treatment plan:

You seem to have topical antibiotics and antifungals.

Regarding follow up:

Have a follow-up after two weeks.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My son does not take any medicines due to taste issues. What should I do?

.. apply a local antibiotic ointment such as T-Bact cream (Mupirocin topical) twice a day for five days and Placentrex (Placenta extracts) cream twice a day for a week. If the wound is not too deep and dirty, a local antibiotic cream alone will suffice.   Read full

What can cause sudden tingling and itchy sensation?

.. a case of folliculitis, probably fungal or bacterial in nature. Apply Mupirocin ointment, twice daily. For further information consult a dermatologist online --> .. ...   Read full

I have red and itchy bumps on the tip of my penis. What are they?

.. you have balanoposthitis. It is mostly due to candidal fungal infection. This is not contagious, and it is not a serious issue. I suggest you try the following:Lulifin (Luliconazole) cream, once daily at bedtime for four consecutive weeks.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.