Q. What causes itchy skin rash around genitals?

Dr. Bincy Varghese

I have a super itchy skin rash around my genital (not on my genital) and on hip. It has been there for a few months now. First it was around my genitals and hips but now it is on my hips only. Whenever I used to scratch, dead skin and dry blood comes off. At first I thought it was just a rash and will go away but now it has been a month and it is not going anywhere. It is continuously itchy.

Dr. Bincy Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

It seems the rash and itching in the groins and waist area could probably be due to a fungal infection of the skin. This is very common especially in tropical countries and more so in the hot humid summers. To accurately diagnose the same further information like images of the affected area, total duration of the rash, any other areas affected, any discoloration of nails, etc., is needed. If it is indeed a fungal infection the following can be kept in mind:

1. Treatment of fungal infections includes applications which contain Ketoconazole, Sertaconazole, Luliconazole, etc. Oral antifungals like Terbinafine and Itraconazole are often used in combination for better clearance and reducing recurrences.

2. Local hygiene is very important. Taking bath daily, drying the skin folds after bath, keeping soap and towels separate and drying your clothes in sunlight and ironing them before wearing will help to kill the fungal spores.

So, I will recommend evaluation by a dermatologist to decide on the treatment. If you have any queries please feel free to reach out. Hope this helps.

|