Q. Is extraction the only choice for pericoronitis?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I am a 30-year-old male with a good oral health history. I had a dental examination today, and it showed pericoronitis on one of my wisdom teeth. I have been put on a week's course of Amoxicillin to fight the infection. If that works, will I even need to have my wisdom tooth removed as it has never caused me any pain?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

Kindly upload an image of the tooth along with if any x-ray is available to you. That will help me in diagnosing and helping to decide whether the extraction is mandatory or not.

Pericoronitis means the two words, pericoronal flap or the gums around the tooth and itis means swelling. That means, the gums surrounding the third molar tooth was swollen. Infection may occur due to food lodgement and bacterial action between the gums and the tooth leading to swollen gums.

Now, it can happen if there is a gap between the tooth (third molar) and the gum. The gap is due to partially impacted third molar. Part of the tooth has erupted and the rest of it is covered in the bone.

So in this situation, medicines will help temporarily, but if there is an impaction, it needs to be extracted or this episodes of infection will return soon.

Kindly upload an image. I will assist immediately and help you manage the situation permanently.

| 

I do not have an x-ray and it is hard to get a picture as it is swollen. But the x-ray showed swollen gums over half of the tooth which would require an incision or will that go back to normal?

The tooth looked in normal position perfectly lined up in the previous x-rays. The dentist said the tooth was not protruding into the nerve below. My dentist gave me an appointment in one month time and I am worried this pain wil be there for one month or will it dissipate once the antibiotics start to work?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

As I explained earlier, half of the hird molar is covered by gums which means partial impaction. So, pain will come back if not extracted. Although, you will be fine for now as the infection will be neutralized by the medications. I request to start the medication and repeat the same medication in future if needed until your dentist the tooth is removed.

Yes, the pain will be over in one or two days and you will be back to normal life. Once you start the medications the swelling will be gone. No incision needed. But kindly get the tooth extracted on a scheduled appointment.

If any difficulty or discomfort in this period of time. I will be always available at your service. So nothing to worry about. I am here whenever you need me.

But do not forget to warm saline gargle twice or thrice a day. Avoid sticky or sweet food as much as possible. Rinse whenever you eat. Brush twice gently. Make it a routine, and continue it. These habits will keep the area clean from food lodgement and will prevent further infection to some extent.

|