Q. I have a small bump on the left end of my mouth with yellow pus. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I am a 25-year-old female. There is a small bump on my gum. It is not that painful. I tried pressing it, and there is yellow pus that came out of it. It is just so bothering and becomes painful whenever I eat. The bump is close to my teeth located at the far left end of my mouth. I am not taking any medications.

#

Kindly help me by uploading an image of the swollen lump along with the tooth as soon as possible. I will assist immediately as I receive an image. It is diagnostically important. I suspect periapical abscess.

Long term abscess might lead to bone loss and mobility. Chronic period without treatment might lead to a cyst. So urgent concern is needed. Kindly upload an image as soon as possible. I will be waiting. Please add if any further information you would like to address.

Once I receive the image, I will be prescribing medication that will help resolving the issue. But the tooth might need an extraction. Pain or no pain abscess means infection is persistent and has to be managed as early as possible.

Please reply and do not forget to mention any drug allergy or medical history.

Periapical abscess. Need an image of the area for confirmations and management and medications will be prescribed immediately.

I have attached the pictures. For a clearer version, I decided to take a video of it and I noticed a bit discoloration on the bump part of my gum. The tooth before that bump has a small hole in it and the specific tooth has undergone several patches already and that tooth is a bit painful now. While, the tooth attached along with the bump does not hurt at all.

#

I went through the images and also seen the video (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It was very helpful.

You do not need any extraction to be precise. Nothing to worry in any case. There is a pocket formation due to food accumulation behind the lower second left molar leading to infection and swelling of the gums behind the tooth. The third molar is not an issue right now. The pocket formation took place as there is a gap for the eruption of lower left third molar. So, kindly follow my advice.

No extraction is needed. Just need medications to resolve the infection and swelling. Get scaling done to remove if any food particle accumulated in that place leading to infection.

I recommed capsule Sporidex 500 mg (Cephalexin 500 mg) one capsule BD for five days, tablet Metronidazole 400 mg one tablet BD for five days, tablet Ibuprofen one tablet BD for five days, capsule Omeprazole BD before meal for five days, and Betadine (Povidone-iodine 2%) mouthwash gargle in lukewarm water two to three times a day.

1. Avoid sticky or sweet food as much as possible.

2. Brush twice gently using a soft toothbrush.

The pocket formation or swelling has nothing to do with the lower third molar. No extraction is needed. Start the medication you will be fine two to three days but continue the medication for five days.

Pocket formation behind the lower second molar due to food accumulation, causing infection and swelling. Nothing to worry.

Pocket formation.

Medications for now. Needs scaling. No extraction needed. The infection and swelling will be resolved by medication. Floss whenever you brush that would clean the food accumulation and prevent pocket formation. You are just 16 third molar erupts by 18-20 years of age. It is a long time so nothing to worry.

|