Q. I have self-doubts and lack of confidence. Please help.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have a lot of self-doubts and feel like I am being watched. I am scared to move into the city and also fear boys. I always feel insecure that someone might find fault in my acts while listening to class with a strength of 200. I have low self-esteem and self-confidence.

#

First of all, Thanks for raising this query. The problem you described affects about 5% of the general population, and most of them never know whether any help is available. Many of them do not admit and confide it to others. You were thinking of what others to think about you. By raising this query, you will benefit a lot of individuals by direct or indirect means. I also like to congratulate you because you crossed the first and most important barrier of getting treated or helped by admitting that it causes distress.

According to your narration, it appears that you are probably suffering from anxious (avoidant personality disorder), a kind of personality in which individuals are susceptible to criticism and rejection. They tend to feel inadequate and present as timid. Despite a strong desire for human companionship, they tend to be fearful of relationships. They will often take jobs with little opportunity for advancement or personal recognition. Now you may understand that this is not your fault. This is neither due to your ego nor due to your shyness. This personality is in your genes, which may have manifested themselves because of your life's adverse situations. In most individuals, the onset of this kind of personality is in childhood but recognizable in adolescent years. For such problems, various pharmacological and psychological methods of treatment can be employed.

If you think the description provided by me does not apply to you, you might have a social anxiety disorder. For detailed evaluation, I need to know about the age of onset, family history, and other symptoms that you are currently facing. For getting treated, I advise you to meet a psychiatrist either online or in person. I will be happy to help you. Thanks.

| 

Since my childhood I suffer from social phobia.Suggest some ayurvedic medicine.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 65 years old and since my childhood I suffer from social phobia. In spite of trying to control myself, I am unable to keep up my confidence. Suggest some ayurvedic medicine.  Read Full »

Will Fluoxetine help in borderline personality disorder and obsession?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 years old female. I suffer from borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, psychosis, anxiety, and obsessive thoughts for ten years. I am taking Olanzapine 10 mg for 68 days, Lamotrigine 200 mg for 101 days, and Fluoxetine 20 mg for 53 days. Now I am not depressed b...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - Symptoms, Signs, Causes, and Treatment

Article Overview: GAD patients worry excessively and persistently throughout the course of the day. They are constantly anticipating the worst about family, health, finance, and the future. Learn about the symptoms, signs, causes, and treatment of GAD. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Generalized anxiety disorder is a mental illness where the patient has anxiety not just to particular situations but nearly every activity of the day. They are too obsessed with money, family, work, and relationships. What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder ICD-1...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now