Q. I have chronic pharyngitis and it is getting worse in spite of medications. Why?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I have chronic granular pharyngitis. I was having throat pain for the past eight weeks. Initially, I took homeo medicines and it did not cure. Then I took Azithromycin and Metronidazole for a few days and I stopped this.

Currently, I take tablet Claribid 500 mg twice daily morning and night after food, Betadine gargle, tablet Nexpro-RD once daily on empty stomach, Acecloplus for pain if required (I do not have too much pain), Montek- LC at bedtime after food. I started these tablets for two days but it seems that my condition is worsening.

#

Please send photographs and report of your throat.

I have throat pain for several weeks. I am using the below medications for the past one week. But there is no change. My current medications are tablet Claribid 500 mg twice daily, Betadine gargle, Nexpro-RD once daily on empty stomach, Acecloplus for pain if required (I do not have too much pain), Montek- LC at bedtime after food.

#

As you pointed out you have granular pharyngitis for eight weeks. One needs to rule the cause of chronic pharyngitis. One important cause is tonsillitis but your tonsils are normal. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Then other important cause is postnasal drip due to rhinosinusitis. You must have then symptoms of cold, blocked nose, pressure over sinuses and postnasal drip.

Another cause is Gerd or Gastroesophageal reflux. Do you get a reflux of stomach contents? Is there any stomach ache? Do you get sour eructations? Then chronic smoking can cause pharyngitis. Nighttime asymptomatic reflux can cause pharyngitis. Allergy is an important cause of pharyngitis. At times globus sensation or a constant sensation of foreign in the throat can occur with no apparent cause.

In addition to medicines, it will also require certain lifestyle changes. First, quit smoking. Drink plenty of water. Avoid hot and spicy and oily, fried foods. Avoid heavy meals at night. Take Nexpro D for an extended period of a month or so. Do not use antibiotics for more than a week. You can use Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) for 10 -15 days or substitute this with Lorfast AM (Loratadine and Ambroxyl). Also, take Cofsils or Strepsils lozenges twice a day. And the most important cut down on your anxiety.

|