Q. Why does the left side of my throat hurt sometimes when I swallow?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Four or five days ago, I was doing well but, when I woke up and swallowed, the left side of my throat has been bothering me ever since. I do not have any other symptoms, but it just hurts a bit when I swallow, then it would go away. When I wake up, it does not hurt, but it comes back throughout the day. Kindly help.

# Hello,
I understand your concern. From your symptoms listed above, it seems to be pharyngitis. Pharyngitis is inflammation of the pharynx. It can be caused due to allergy, infection, and laryngopharyngeal reflux.
I would suggest:

1)Tablet levocetirizine 5 mg orally at night for seven days.

2)Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg orally on an empty stomach in the morning once daily for seven days.

3) Gargle with warm salt water three times a day.

4) Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg orally whenever you feel severe pain.
Try to sleep two hours after your dinner as Laryngopharyngeal reflux gets aggravated while you lay down immediately after a meal. If it persists, you can visit a nearby ENT (ear, nose, and throat) clinic or send the picture of your throat to icliniq.com to rule out other causes like tonsillitis.
Hope this will help you.

|