Common "Phimosis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Phimosis is a condition where the foreskin of the penis is tight and cannot be pulled back. It is normal in uncircumcised boys, but resolves with age. It is of concern if there is pain and swelling during urination or erection. If an infection develops, it is advisable to consult a urologist. The doctor may treat it with a steroid cream or may suggest going for a circumcision.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My penile foreskin is tight, and I am unable to retract the tip of the penis. What is the nonsurgical option for this?

Query: Hi doctor, The foreskin is large and tight and I have never retracted to the tip of the penis or glans since birth. I wanted to check if there is a non-surgical procedure to see the tip of the penis or glans.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to This is phimosis, and medical treatment with steroidal gel is the first line of treatment. You can use Betnovate (Betamethasone Valerate) cream and apply it twice daily for six weeks. Start gradual retraction after two weeks till full retraction in six weeks. If th...  Read Full »

I have had phimosis since childhood, and now I notice white pores under the foreskin of my penis. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 years old man. I think I have had phimosis since childhood, and I was not able to retract the foreskin of my penis behind its back. However, I never had any problem while urinating or ejaculating. I also have little white pores under my foreskin, but most importantly, I do n...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. I have reviewed the image you shared (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your condition is caused by phimosis which is a tight foreskin. Therefore, I suggest you use steroidal cream like Betnovate (Be...  Read Full »

I am a 22-year-old male with phimosis. Should I be concerned about the side effects of circumcision?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 22-year-old male and discovered that pulling the foreskin back through puberty should have happened naturally. My parents never encouraged me or realized my medical issues during my early childhood. I have just grown up thinking that my penis looks normal. I feel depressed and sad t...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Phimosis can be treated by a conservative or surgical treatment. I suggest to apply (consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take medicines with their consent) Hydrocortisone ointment over the penis twice daily and start retracting it gradually after tw...  Read Full »

The tip of my foreskin has been itching for the past few days. Why am I unable to retract the foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor,The tip of my foreskin has been itching for the past few days, and I cannot retract it. As a result, I feel pain and discomfort during erection. This issue happened to me when I was 19 years old. Is it phimosis or infection? Kindly prescribe me medications.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi,Welcome to symptoms are suggestive of fungal infection. It occurs due to sexual contact or using public toilets. I suggest applying Canesten cream (Clotrimazole) thrice daily for a week (consult with a doctor, talk with him or her and use medicines with their consent).  Read Full »

My foreskin is stuck, and I feel pain on pulling back. Why?

Query: Hi, My foreskin is stuck, and it is not going down. If I try to pull it down, it causes pain and rashes. I am a diabetic person and currently under medication for diabetes.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. This condition is called phimosis, and treatment options are medical and surgical. So let us start with medical treatment. Here are my suggestions, you can apply a steroidal cream like Betnovate 1 % (Betamethasone Valerate)...  Read Full »

I cannot retract my foreskin completely and believe that I have phimosis. Will it cause a problem during sexual intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have phimosis. I am unable to retract my foreskin completely. At maximum, while backing it up, I can only see the tip of a diameter of 0.78 to 1.18 inches. I can masturbate without any issue, slow or fast, no issue. I am just worried about my sexual intercourse. Will that lea...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, that is phimosis, and treatment requires Hydrocortisone cream to be applied twice daily for six weeks. After two weeks, you can gradually start retraction and complete retraction until after six weeks. The cream's name is Betnovate (Betamethasone), and it is wid...  Read Full »

Is circumcision the only option to treat tight foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, So previously, my husband used to masturbate a lot. Now he is facing an issue of the tight foreskin, and now when we do sex, he has tremendous pain in his penis because of the tight foreskin and I want to know what is the cause of tight foreskin and if circumcision is the only option i...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This is called phimosis. I would suggest using Hydrocortisone cream 1 %. It is available in any pharmacy. He can apply the cream to the foreskin twice daily and massage it for one to two minutes. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines wit...  Read Full »

I have a tight foreskin. How can I retract it without circumcision?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a tight foreskin, and I would like to retract it without circumcision. Would you please prescribe me a cream for the same and something for the sensitivity on the head of the penis?  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for writing in and I understand your concern. This condition is phimosis. I suggest applying Hydrocortisone cream 1%. It is available over-the-counter in any pharmacy. Apply it twice daily on the foreskin and rub it well. Start retraction gradually after two weeks ...  Read Full »

Why is it difficult to pull my foreskin back when I am erect after a frenuloplasty?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a frenulum tear due to excess sexual intercourse, and I underwent frenuloplasty to correct my foreskin. On the first two days after the surgery, my foreskin was clear and comfortable. But after two days, it became tight and difficult to retract. I am unable to get an erection....  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi,Welcome to for consulting us.The foreskin is hard to retract due to expansion during erection. The reason for frenuloplasty could have been phimosis (narrowing of the foreskin). It would help if you keep the area dry and clean. It is recommended to clean the area with saline an...  Read Full »

Will phimosis interfere with penile growth and reduce the stretchability of the foreskin?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was around 8-year-old, I had a sharp pain after masturbating and had a little blood from my foreskin. My foreskin was once extremely stretchy and was able to retract extremely easily became so tight that it would not even retract when flaccid. If memory serves correctly, this caus...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The condition you have is phimosis which is tightness of foreskin prevent easy retraction. It is not usually interfering with penile growth. Treatment of phimosis starts with medical treatment by applying hydrocortisone cream and rub it on foreskin twice daily and to ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.