Phlebolith

What do the stone-like structures in my abdominal CT suggest?

Query: Hello doctor,I had an abdominal CT done for pain in my lower abdomen, groin, and testicle that resulted after a sudden twisting movement. The report did not really address a cause for any of the pain, though when I was looking at the images, I noticed what appeared to be two stones of some sort on m...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I understand your concern. You might be referring to the two tiny stone-like densities to the right of the midline. Let me reassure you that it is not a stone which we are seeing. It is below the...  Read Full »

My pelvic and hip X-ray showed a possible phlebolith. Can it be a dermoid cyst ovary?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a pelvic and hip X-ray to check for arthritis, and it showed a possible phlebolith on the left side. I have a dermoid cyst on that side ovary and have had it for over 20 years. I want to check whether the X-ray reader wrongly interrupted the X-ray. Kindly help.   Read Full »

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is impressive that you realized a dermoid cyst might have been misdiagnosed as phlebolith. Phleboliths are small blood clots in a vein that harden over time due to calcification. They are calcified, usually smaller than the one on your pelvic X-ray. Ovarian dermoid...  Read Full »

Are the small abnormalities in the X-ray of the abdomen stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a nurse and I had the stomach flu about a week ago and decided to take a VD pelvis and abdomen radiograph of myself. Upon taking the radiograph, a number of small abnormalities in the pelvis were seen. At first glance, they appeared to be stones, but after taking repeat X-rays, on...  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I assume the radiographs were taken to evaluate any calculus, stone along the urinary tract. However, the small opacities seen in the pelvis are phleboliths within the veins of your pelvis and not stones. These phleboliths would not cause any discomfort to you and are a...  Read Full »