Q. I see a fan-type rotating thing when I close my eyes. Is this normal?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Sometimes, if I take a nap or close my eyes, I see a fan-type rotating thing in my eyes which goes in one minute. If I close my eyes, I can see that. It is a black-colored fan-like thing rotating. Is this normal? I am myopic and my retina was tested last year.

Do you have a question on Phosphene or Vision Problem?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

M.B.B.S., M.S OPHTHALMOLOGY., FELLOW OF INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF OPHTHALMOLOGY (U.K)., M.R.C.S EDINBURGH
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

From what you have mentioned, you may have experienced a certain physiological entity called "phosphene". This is nothing to worry about.

I suggest that you see an ophthalmologist in case you have the following:

1. Floaters which move around in your opened eye if increasing in number and size.
  2. A decrease in your vision.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Also Read Answers From: Phosphene Vision Problem Eye Floaters

Why am I noticing peripheral flashes with eye floaters?
Query: Hello doctor, For the past three weeks, I have had my normal right eye floaters seem strange. I noticed peripheral flashes when blinking and walking and quick black narrow lines. I saw an ophthalmologist. He found the retina to be fine. I now have some flashes around peripheral in the right eye and...  Read Full »
Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hollow of the eye is filled with vitreous jelly. With aging, the jelly starts to liquify and separates from its attachments to the retina. This results in a little tug on the retina, resulting in flashes. This phenomenon is known as posterior vitreous detachment or ...  Read Full »

What are the white floating layers in my urine?
Query: Hello doctor, I have white floating layers in my urine as you will see in the attached picture. What are these? I have symptoms such as frequent urination and burning sensation either during or after urination. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The white floating things in urine are usually phosphate crystals which often precipitate on keeping urine in a container or when urine is more acidic. Taking lots of water and citrus juices (lemon or orange) will clear up the urine. These white things can also be due to ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for eye floaters problem?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 56 years old male. I have eye floaters problem. I have blood pressure. I am taking tablets for it.  Read Full »
Dr. Neha Rathi
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The floaters in the front of the eye indicate disease in the posterior segment of the eye that is retina or vitreous. As you have raised blood pressure, though you are taking medication, you have an increased chance of having retina and vitreous problems. You can get yo...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now